ESL/LEP

ELL 1 Student in General Ed. Class

>

cocobean

ELL 1 Student in General Ed. Class
Old 09-20-2009, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help!
I work at a charter school. As we receive public funds, we cannot turn away ELL students; however, we do not have an ELL program because we are a small school with limited funding. We've explained to the parents that the student will be better served in the large district that has the program, but the parents want their child in a small school and usually don't listen. I have a new student who speaks virtually no English. I teach 6th Grade standard Language Arts, according to the California standards. What do I do with this poor girl? We've started giving her some easy "make flashcards" assignments and crosswords of school words, but I don't have time in a 47 minute period to give her one on one that she needs!

Desperate!

cocobean is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 09-22-2009, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Label everything and take half an hour while your other kids are doing independent work to show her...notebook, door, pencil...emphasize pronunciation and even have her repeat after you. YOU have no right to turn her away--she has a RIGHT to her good education, which her parents obviously thought you could non-prejudicely provide...show them they're right.

Label everything. Speak slowly and clearly. Pair her with a very good student. Academic language is often picked up very quickly, and a 'buddy' will help. TAKE the time to make her simplified version of what you do in class. Invest in simple WalMart practice books for Kinder or first grade just to get her started. Involve her as much as possible.

I don't know what CA uses...IL uses ACCESS...invest in one ACCESS English text and workbook, and a teacher copy if you wish, but it is not necessary...you may even get them free in a sample. Go to great source publishing online and check it out, becuse they are good, simple, inexpensive books for math, english, world and american history, and science.
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote