ESL/LEP

question

>

Pennie

Pennie

question
Old 10-11-2009, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a teacher who is considering getting certified to teach ESL. I am interested to know what you spend most of your time doing. Can you describe a typical day? What do you like most and least about teaching ESL? I work part time in a small school where we do not have any ESL help. Every year I end up with at least one student who speaks no English and I have loved helping these children. I know I would need to go back to school to get an additional degree or certificate, but do you think volunteering in a school with ESL children would also help? Thank you so much for any information you can give me. I appreciate it!

MissESL

My Day...
Old 10-15-2009, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

8 - I get to school. I usually have a veritable line of teachers waiting to tell me this or ask me that, or I have a PBIS or faculty meeting. If not that I am planning, because I won't have time for it later.
830 - 4th grade group comes in. I teach them reading separately, because there wee too many to pull out individually. It's like having a mini class--small group setting. I do plan and create for these kids. I give them their grade, etc. I can only do this during a core subject, because I am a highly qualified teacher for K - 8 grades.
9:40 -- Both fifth graders come in and a 6th grader comes in, too. One is a non-speaker, the other is a 5th grade LA pull out. Juggle both boys until 10, then the non-speaker leaves for Title. Continue working with the 5th grade LA student. The 6t grade girl comes in for homework help only at this time.
10:20 -- The sixth grade LD LEP comes in for Science. He is a behavior challenge. I juggle him with the 5th grade LA student.
10:40 -- The LA student leaves. Continue working with LD LEP.
11:00 -- Go to 6th grade girl's math class to help her.
11:40 Cleanup and close down, check in with office, principal, and counselor to check for translations or other needs (I'm obviously difficult to catch alone otherwise).

Leave School 1 no later than 12:40 (often a deadline I meet). Eat lunch (sometimes) and drive fifteen minutes to other school.

1:00 -- Get to School 2, check in with the office, do translations.
1:35 -- Teach an ESL class. I plan, copy, grade, etc. for this class.
2:20 -- Segue into study hall with same children. I do a ton of one on one tutoring, explaining, and reteaching to students so they can do their homework, teachers also ask me to work tests with students, and I often get called to do translations while the secretary watches my classroom.
3:30 -- I get the heck out!

I love it, but it's a packed day, I don't get more than the break of time it takes me to drive from one school to the other. I only have about 16 kids altogether but it can feel like a thousand trying to juggle their needs. I think ESL is kind of like a special ed teacher--it takes a certain type of person to do it. If you know you are this type, then GO FOR IT. It is an awesome choice, you can be an advocate for those who may not have one, and it is a very rewarding job when you see their changes in abilities over time. Good luck.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

read&see

Old 10-15-2009, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would also add that you probably need to be an independent type of person who can pick up from nowhere. There is no curriculum even though companies try. It is very individualized. ESL is also more than teaching kids how to speak English. Depnding on where you live there are certain standards but they are not the same everywhere.

Volunteering may be a good first step to see if you like it. You could also enroll in a teaching methodology course to get ideas and strategies for teaching.
read&see is offline   Reply With Quote
Pennie

Pennie

Thank you
Old 10-15-2009, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you both so much for your responses. The information you gave me is very helpful!!