Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Title 1 Reading Night

>

addabunny

Title 1 Reading Night
Old 10-13-2009, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering if anyone out there had some wonderful ideas they would be willing to share for an awesome Title 1 reading night that would draw a reluctant crowd. I was hoping to do something around Thanksgiving time. I know food and free books are a must but I'm not sure what kinds of activities would seem appealing without being intimidating. I need all of your wonderful ideas, please.

addabunny is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

ideas
Old 10-15-2009, 02:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Building the night around a theme might make it fun for the kids. If you have storytellers, the parents might be more willing to come as well, since it would be like entertainment. You could have an area where people can make simple reading games, maybe questions and answers for parents to interact with faculty. These are things I've seen posted other times.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

LaVerne

Our night
Old 10-15-2009, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

has been going on now for 3 years. The first year I won a grant that brought in Sister Bear in costume as part of the grant and the kids had pictures. The last 2 we had no money, so we used our high school mascot ...a huskie dog...and had pictures taken. The rest of our library and some in the hallway were centers for parents and kids to complete together. Some things we did were games...like the Frog games...make a bookmark with stamps and markers, phonic matching word sort type things, smartboard presentation where kids showed the parents some of the stuff we do with vocab each week.....can't think of anymore right off the top of my head. This year we are having ours during the first night of our conferences in early November. OUr state library has a guy who is coming out to do a computer on line presentation called Homework help....3 30 minute presentations so parents get some knowledge about where to go online for encyclopedias, etc. I hope it is good...you just never know. Food is always a draw and our new principal actually asked if we thought perhaps some sub sandwiches would help bring in parents.

We hold our 'Family Fun in Title I" during conferences for 2 hours and on that night since parents are already out and about. You never get everyone you hope, however.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I didn't explain very well....my brain is fried!
LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

Ratchada

Old 10-24-2009, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our new Title 1 math teacher has made up a tool kit to give to parents with things like cards, chips, dice, etc. I was told I have to make up a reading tool kit, as well. This has been difficult and has taken me lots of searching. It turned out our parent night has been postponed so I have some more time to figure this out, but here are some things going in my reading tool kit: timers from the Dollar Store, index cards, bookmarks with strategies on them, a generic board game, another comprehension board game I found online, a list of questions that parents can ask their children, dictionaries, wet erase markers for the board games and erasable refrigerator magnets that they can write spelling words or letter names or math facts, or whatever. I have no ideas how these will be received. I think it is much harder to create a reading tool kit than a math for students with a range from 2 - 5 grade. If anyone has any other suggestions they would be welcomed!
Ratchada is offline   Reply With Quote

LaVerne

Great ideas..
Old 10-25-2009, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I like the things you have gotten together so far...and I totally agree with your comment about how it is harder to find stuff for the reading tool kit. I have the same problem....

A couple of suggestions....maybe a bookmark...book order forms...a square cube, perhaps a foam rubber die, with questions on the side that say...who was the main character? Where did the story take place? When did the story take place? Name the first event in the story, etc. ...questions that a parent could ask about a story their child has read to them.... just a thought.

Good luck...let me know if you think of more.

LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

Ratchada

Old 10-31-2009, 03:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the suggestions. The cube is a great idea. I will start looking today. The event was scheduled for October 20 but was canceled because only 9 families sent in RSVP's to indicate they were coming. We sent out 45 invitations. Discouraging to say the least, but it has bought me time to add some items to the toolkit.
Ratchada is offline   Reply With Quote