Substitute Teachers

What should I do?

>

barbara s

barbara s

What should I do?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am getting frantic over my lack of work. I'm registered at two Catholic schools where my kids attend; I have to wait for them to call me, as opposed to checking a central job system. The staffs at these schools have known me for years, and I had a very good interview in July. I was told that I would be hired "regularly." Instead, so far this year, I've been hired for only seven days at one school and none at the other. No one has told me that I've done anything wrong--I've tried my best on every assignment, left notes and info for every teacher, solicited feedback and suggestions for improvement, even handled lunch/recess duty and, one day, lunch detention. No one has told me anything good, bad or otherwise about my work. But I'm beginning to think that I've been blackballed for something, and I don't know what or why. Otherwise, why wouldn't they call? I know one school is definitely hiring several subs a day, because my daughter tells me she sees them on campus. If it were you, what would you do? Ask about availability of work, in hopes of gently reminding them that I'm here and ready to work? Ask for a critique, now that I've done a few days, and see whether I can fix whatever might be wrong? Sign up to sub in another district? Nothing? I had hoped that subbing might lead to a full-time position next year, but at this rate, I'm beginning to doubt it's possible...

Kataqueens

Do the schools have a ranking sub list?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Perhaps the reason why you're not getting called to work is due to the fact that you may be at the bottom of the sub list. I don't think you did anything to warrant being banned; they just might not need you right now.

My suggestion is to sign up for other districts, get your name out there. This way, you'll have more of a shot of getting a full-time position in another district for next year. Don't worry!
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

Super Sub

another guess
Old 10-19-2009, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It might also be because you are a current parent in the school. I know that some schools and teachers don't feel comfortable having a parent working in the building. Not that YOU would do anything but some people just can't keep quiet about the things they see and hear at school.
Super Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 10-19-2009, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

been there and done all that....I subbed (and am still subbing) and have left notes/went way and beyond what was asked of me/have done bus duty when it wasn't even my time...and all for what....naught!!!!!!!

in the end, it came to nada/nothing!!!! I mean I still get jobs but it's not like I'm the 1st one they think of....so...sign up with other districts..don't put all your eggs into one basket..spread yourself out..

I'm also working another job/with steadier days and pay and mannn!!!! It makes subbing look like a joke!!
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

re: yoohoo
Old 10-19-2009, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wow. Since a lot of posters talk about how many requests they get, I thought I was doing something wrong for the last 10 years. I, too, leave good notes, I do a good job, the kids like me, I leave a card, and teachers still do not call. It used to be disappointing, but I'm used to it now. This job is not for one who wants adult reinforcement or adulation.

I talked to a man who did a long-term sub job at a high school last year (3 -4 months) and he told me teachers will sit in the lounge and talk badly about subs, and that some just do not like substitutes.

As long as I can get jobs, I am happy. Though, it would be nice to see the same kids once in a while.

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 10-20-2009, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You probably haven't done anything wrong! It's just that if you are the newest on the list, you are last one called on a given day. And I think teachers are being really careful with their days this year - trying not to take personal days for things like dentist appointments in case they get sick and have to miss several days later.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

red leaf

Hang in there and branch out
Old 10-20-2009, 10:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I doubt very much you've been black-balled. Private schools usually have very long sub lists (I saw one posted on the copy room wall once and realized I was just one of 35 for a not-so-big private school). If it's up to the teachers to find subs, it's just a matter of being available when they call and once they find someone they like, that's the person they call again. If it's the secretary who tracks down a sub, she or he will look for someone who has subbed for that class before. However, it never hurts to call the secretary and check in and remind them of your presence. I've done that and gotten jobs. (Hi, I hadn't heard from you and I was wondering if I was still on your sub list....). Sometimes it seems like they aren't calling you when in fact, no one has taken a leave. All in all, it's pretty discouraging if you're trying to make a living. If you can hang in there until January, there are usually more jobs available as many of the subs traditionally vanish into thin air, although in these economic times, that might not be the case. My advice is to branch out to more schools.
red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote