Help

Substitute Teachers

Worst school ever!!

>

Kataqueens

Worst school ever!!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Boy can looks be deceiving! Today I subbed at a PK-8 school that I assumed would be good; it used to have a nice magnet program, but when the funding went, so did the program, along with supportive staff and dedicated teachers.

The morning didn't start well; I woke up late and scrambled out the door to get there early. when I'm at a school for the first time I like to get there extra early to have my Smart Card scanned, go over protocol, get a feel for the place. I got there early, but the people in the Main Office (who never introduced themselves, and took them a minute of chatting with each other before they acknowledged me) took a very long time getting my schedule organized. I barely had 10 minutes before students arrived. There was another sub in that day, and when I asked him if he subbed there before, he responded "Unfortunately. This is a HORRIBLE SCHOOL." would hear this opinion from another staff member later on that day, after I experienced the "horrible" school.

But it wasn't so much the students who were horrible-I had 8th graders-but other teachers who ignored me in the halls and acted liked I was an idiot for not knowing where anything was located. I had one period where I was informed I would be responsible for classroom management while another 2 teachers tested students individually; when I got to the classroom I found out that I would be handing out a worksheet on consonant sounds with 3rd graders (who were delightful...have never done elementary before). One minute before the period was over, I had to head back to my room to get ready for another 8th grade class, when one of the teachers who was testing looked at me and remarked "You still have FIVE minutes." I left a minute later without saying bye to her.

When I got back upstairs, another teacher who never introduced herself informed me very rudely that I would have to go to the cafeteria and pick up the students for the last period. I asked her "where's the cafeteria?" and she snidely responded "downstairs." Yes, but WHERE? She ignored me and walked away.

I have never heard so many teachers complain about their job! I overheard one woman say that she was quitting the profession after this year because she "couldn't take it anymore." With the exception of the middle school dean, everyone was very rude and condescending towards me and the other substitutes. When I went to punch out, I had to ask for my time card back (they don't let you put it in the slots here for some reason) and one man said very sarcastically, "Oh, I don't know ANYTHING about time cards" and walked away chuckling. Well, could you help me find someone who does, because I just want to punch out and leave?

Needless to say, I am NEVER going back to this school!

Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 10-22-2009, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

as you stated "used to"....gee...feel terrible for you..nobody has to go thru that crap!!! at least you now know that will be one less school to sub in
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Amberlee

Office
Old 10-22-2009, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You said: "but the people in the Main Office (who never introduced themselves, and took them a minute of chatting with each other before they acknowledged me)"

(By the way how do you make a quote from a reply?)

I hate when the office people do that! You stand there and wait to be acknowledged without wanting to interrupt their conversation, and they go on chatting about their hair appointments, little Johnny, etc as if you do not exist. HELLO! I'm here!! I'm not invisible because I'm a substitute!
Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 10-22-2009, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

that does sound pretty bad, and your subject line does say, "Worst school ever". I would have to agree. It is good that you don't need to work there.
I had one school remove me from the building in the middle of the day based on what a student stated that I said to him. A few of his pals sided with him. Later I heard that admin interviewed other students and they told admin it never happened. I was exonerated without my knowledge at the time, but to this day I have never been called back to that school.
I also sent a top athlete to the office at another school and that high school has never called me again.
Kata, you have been at this long enough to develop some thick skin and just move on. But isn't it something when you think you've seen it all? And then you go into a school like the one you just left? So how thick does the skin have to be? And from what direction is it going to come next? Aren't some of these schools just, for want of a better word, interesting?
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

3of3

Old 10-22-2009, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Definately a rough day for you. I've often heard full-time teachers say how it would be nice to be a sub and not take school home with you. But it's not always true when you've had a day like you've had. It does stick with you no matter how thick your skin is. It's unneccessary and frustrating to be treated that way. I went to a job a couple of weeks ago and there was no lesson plan. I went to the office to see if maybe the plan was emailed in or in his box. Nope, the response I got was "good luck" ha, ha. WTH, I mean hey we are there to provide an important service to the school, you'd think they'd see it as such. Some just don't. I hope you never have to return there!

3of3 is offline   Reply With Quote

blanche46

I feel for you Kataqueens...
Old 10-22-2009, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

my day was bad too...thank goodness there's always tomorrow, and it's Friday!
blanche46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ball Three
Old 10-22-2009, 07:32 PM
This message has been deleted by Ball Three.

Suspended

Ball Three

Suspended
Hi, Kataqueens,
Old 10-23-2009, 03:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sorry for your day, but remember what Edison said when someone expressed
sympathy for his "failed" experiments while trying to make a light bulb. He said
the experiments were not failures; he had discovered a whole bunch of materials
that wouldn't work. You, similarly, have discovered what must indeed be the
worst school on the entire eastern seaboard, which you can now avoid, AND
you have serendipitously discovered THIRD GRADE!!! Congratulations!!!
Ball Three is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

The school has definitely failed
Old 10-23-2009, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I should have done my research about the school when the job offer popped up, but I made all the wrong assumptions based on the location of the school. But sometimes research proves costly: yesterday afternoon a job offer popped up on SmartFind Express for a school in Brooklyn; by the time I finished my research and was ready to accept the job, someone else snatched it up. This has never happened to me before, but this is also my first year subbing where the system, and not the schools, has been contacting me.

I wonder if I should call individual schools from last year and see if they still have me on their list of subs. Do schools keep their lists from previous years? I miss subbing at one particular school =)
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote