Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

message for "bad" teachers

>

ciounoi

Old 10-29-2009, 02:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

You are right on many respects, but it is often hard to tell (if you're a sub) if your student for the day really needs to go or is just looking for an excuse to not do his work. Body language is often a good indicator. Trust me, I have no problem with lletting kids go to the bathroom... but only if they actually have to go!

ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 10-29-2009, 03:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

totally agree with you...as a sub one is bodily language and trying to remember how many times the kid has asked to go to the bathroom....

granted there are kids with special needs that just need to go and those I always tell them to do what they need to do that they don't need my permission....

it can get a little crazy with kids asking to go to the bathroom and getting drinks but my rule is (regardless of the class especially in MS) just sign out or if one other person is out you need to wait and if it's an emergency then always GO!!!
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 10-29-2009, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I usually let students use the bathroom whenever because early in my career a disruptive child who just went insisited he needed to go again and as soon as he made it to the b-room, he barfed all over. Also, potty urges are personal thing. Who can tell from outside, but if it gets rediculous, I do encourage them to finish some work first.
That said, I'm a little worried about parents who encourage rebellion against teachers they decide are "bad". Sometimes you are just seeing a snapshot. If you stayed for the whole movie, you might see a clearer picture. Youngsters who are good at playing parents against eachother can certainly play the same game between parents and teachers. Then they can get the teacher "in trouble" and get out of work or consequences. - or they just can retaliate when they get deserved consequences.
I think in schools a bigger problem is children who are given everything but discipline and no respect for authority and education.
There are parents who are still in rebellion-mode and so have a hard time preparing their children for adulthood.
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

viktoriag

Old 10-29-2009, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It's hard to comment without knowing the situation. Who hasn't been in a class where a particularly boring activity suddenly spurs an epidemic of bathroom "emergencies?"

I never deny anyone the right to go, but I will say, you just went, wait until xxx, or I always enforce my "one out at a time" rule.

Were you referring to a teacher or a sub, who did this? My son is in Catholic high school and his teachers are very strict. He has been denied the right many times to leave a class. I don't like it, but I choose my battles. In my daughter's public high school, they actually lock the doors between classes. We had a European exchange student stay with us last year and she was absolutely stunned by this rule. But some schools (and some teachers) do what they have to do, presumably for good reason. I hope.
viktoriag is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 10-29-2009, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
i think some teachers dont let students use the bathroom because want see them with his/her pants-wetted ..
Seriously? Do you honestly believe that any teacher, sub or otherwise, would be thinking such a thing?

FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote