bad day just wanted to whine (sorry, a little long) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

bad day just wanted to whine (sorry, a little long)

>

viktoriag

bad day just wanted to whine (sorry, a little long)
Old 10-29-2009, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So the other day I had an assignment for AM at one school (one of my favorites), then PM at another (one I have never been to, ten minutes away).

I got to the first school and everything was fine, except the classes ended at 11:20 at this school, and didn't start in the other, I found, until 1:30! There was no clear breakdown of how I was to spend this time. I live on the way from one school to the other, so I decided I'd stop at home, let my dogs out, and grab some food.

I asked the secretaries in the first office and they said I was supposed to be at the other school at 12. I got out of that school around 11:35, and came home for 15 minutes. I called over to the PM school to clarify I had to be there at noon (I was running a little late).

The secretary at this school told me that I really should be in the building for my prep, because I'm being paid for it. But she didn't tell me what I wanted to know: WHEN is my prep? WHEN is my lunch? WHAT is my travel time?

Now, feeling like the cat that ate the canary, I rushed over to the school, arriving around 12:10. Remember I have no class until 1:30. And when I see the schedule, I see that my prep actually begins at 12:35. I am technically still on my lunch and travel time at 12:10. would have been nice to know, huh?

So I ask, "where do I go until 1:30?" and she thinks, saying to herself, "the teachers room is probably really crowded.."(?!?!) and then she comes up with the idea to put me at the teachers desk. Which happens to be in what used to be a closet but now has three desks in it, and she tells me that I can 'chill' there. For an HOUR! (alone) So I had to sit in this room for an hour, then walk outside to be buzzed back in. Because of the school growth, the adjoining room is now a classroom and I can't disrupt the class (they were having lunch when we went through the first time.) Next to me was a computer which we subs are not allowed to use. And even my phone had no service, as I was truly in the bowels of the building.

Luckily for me, a teacher happened in and we chatted for a few minutes, which brought me to 1:00. Then I was able to read some books that I found lying around. I hadn't brought reading material as I expected to be with classes all day! I usually only bring something if I expect down time, like if I'm covering meetings.

Anyway, the kids were great all day and nothing was really 'wrong' with the assignment. I just felt so meaningless and unwanted at that second school! It was a very lonely feeling, as I have been subbing in other schools for 7 1/2 years and am usually not treated as an accessory. The day before, they had asked me to extend what was supposed to be AM only to full day, and they allowed me to run home to let the dogs out and eat lunch, which had me gone for an hour that day - lunch + prep, and they were fine about it. And I left there feeling happy and appreciated.

Anyway, I came home and marked this school on my 'don't show me jobs from this school' list on AESOP. I have enough others that I don't need to be treated like that again!

(edit: I don't always have to let my dogs out! Just reread and it sounds like I do. The first day it was because I hadn't expected to stay all day so didn't let them out twice before I left, and the second day it was because I knew I would be passing my house anyway, and one of the dogs is a puppy. Normally they suck it up and wait for my daughter to let them out at 2:30)

Last edited by viktoriag; 10-29-2009 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: sounded like my dogs controlled my sub life
viktoriag is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

subczy

what??!!
Old 10-30-2009, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No, at MY school the teachers schedule us for the time they NEED us to be teaching children. If there are no children to watch we may do whatever we please. We are asked that if we leave the building we leave our plans, keys to the school, etc in case something happens and they need them.

We are paid by half days. Every now and then you get a teacher who only needs you from lets say 10am to 11:39 (end of our morning period). but theyd on't put the TIMES on there and so we end up showing up at 7:40 (start of the morning school day). (we are required to be present 15 min before class begins at least). This happened to me on WEd as a matter of fact. The teacher explained that actually, me coming early woudl really help him out, but I was still early for that too. So I left and went and ate and did my grocery shopping and came back at 9:15 (45 min before he originally said he wanted me) so he could leave and get mcd's and go to the bank before the trip he had to take. Regardless if I am there for 5 min or 3 hours I get paid the same. (gotta love those days when you show up, sign in and are released as not needed and GET PAID!!!!!)

Now, our am end time is 11:39 and oour pm start time is 1140. See a problem here in working at diff schools - ah, yeah. I rarely work diff. schools for this reason - the pm school is always ok w/ you having travel time and they get an aid to cover but it is just too stressful for me. And then there is always a new teacher every year (BTDT 2x this year already) who doesn't realize the sub end and start times and scheduled you int he am until when HER Kids go to lunch. So you get am overlapping into pm. UGH!!! Usually me getting onto them once does the trick. HOnestly, they just aren't told they never do it again.

Good luck. And you might ask the principals when you are required to be in the building. When I have planning periods I usually go to get a pop at the cstore or play on teh computer, do my homework or whatever. I have nothing to plan so unless I am spend a few min getting ready w/ the next set of lessons I have nothing to do!!!

viktoriag

Old 10-31-2009, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That sounds like a district that appreciates you!

I was actually in for one teacher. It is her day that's split between the two schools, because she teaches a special. So they don't have enough classes to keep her at one school every day, so one of the days is split between the two schools and the others are at one school or the other all day. I was lucky enough to have to cover for her on her traveling day. We are paid by half days, either 8:30-12 or 12-3:15.

I didn't see anything wrong with my stopping at home on what should have been my time, as I was out anyway. It wasn't like I was neglecting any duties. I have never actually met that Principal but it won't matter now because I won't be seeing any more jobs from that school anyway!

Yesterday I had a similar situation at one of my usual schools. I checked with the Principal, she told me I wasn't needed, and I roamed around. I did go and sit at the teacher's desk for a while but I was free to wander about and also was allowed into the teachers' room if I wanted! So it was a bit boring, but I didn't have that awful feeling. It was a little slow because of the holiday, the school was having its parties and all for Halloween, but I was in for a resource teacher.

I just really hated feeling like such a non-entity!
viktoriag is offline   Reply With Quote