Help

Substitute Teachers

st1 period was a nightmare

>

thordau4

st1 period was a nightmare
Old 11-02-2009, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was in HS choir, which is usually cushy - all those bright kids. The last period of the day was full of the rudest kids ever. I was explaining the assignment and they kept interrupting. I said wait until instruction time is over and then I will take questions... One of the feral children responded "but I gotta go bathroom!!"
It was right after lunch, so it's not like they didn't get a break. I think sometimes that request is just a way to disrupt class.
It's unnerving to be interrupted over and over.
I kept thinking of Augustus and trying to remember what he said about handling super-brats! but I was getting so stressed my mind was blank!
Then anything I said they would say "uh, yer rude - that messes up our learning"
OMG!!
I called security and had him take a few out. Then had to call again about a half hour later.

This was the worst day I've had in a l-o-n-g time! They just know how to get to you!
Then at the end of class one of the mean-girls I sent out, came back to get her stuff. I just ignored her and was picking up trash in the room. She said "uh, I didn't want to tell you at the beginning of class... cuz I didn't want to embarrass you...." I stopped her right there and said "uh, move along. I'm done...... goodbye, I'm off duty."
I'm sure it was just another attempt to humiliate me. It sounded like an insult was on the way and I just stopped her in her tracks.
She flounced off like a feral child in a snit! sheesh!

thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

Rude kids
Old 11-02-2009, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Ah yes, the insolent youth with a sense of entitlement! I wouldn't be too surprised if they treated their regular teacher the same way; I've often had teachers tell me that students who have been particularly nasty to me are like that to them as well.

Isn't it ironic how they said they YOU were the one being rude? I hope you wrote extensive notes to this teacher; they'll definitely get a-talkin'-to tomorrow.
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 11-02-2009, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, they see the same ones over and over. No one will be surprised. What I don't understand is why these little idiots are even in school. I am convinced the public has no idea what the schools are like today.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

pressing on!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2009, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I left a long note for the teacher, but felt like it would just make me look like I can't manage a class. BTW, I failed to mention, this class had 44 students!!!! impossible for subs to manage.
When I got home yesterday, I cried! and felt like I would not go back to that school for a while.... nawwww! I'm going back this morning! Why should I cower because they don't know how to behave. This is my favorite place to sub. I've tackled inappropriate paras to maintain the integrity of the work place (see other posts) I've covered other classes in my planning time to support the office. I've been cheerful about last minute changes because I like the staff there and like the school. And it's a convenient distance from my home.
I'm not going to let some brats spoil it for me.

When they were heckling me yesterday with stupid questions: "how old are you?" tell us about yourself, I said "I sub here alot, you will get to know me". And that is true. They will get to know me. They were also asking me "what does (that) mean about any word I used beyond "see Jane run"...... ha ha. annoying.

Anyway, my point (and there is one): In the experience of subbing, I am learning a lot that is useful for me to know. I want to become someone who doesn't let others push her buttons. know what I mean? I want to be kind while still setting firm limits and sticking up for myself. Subbing is like a LAB where I can practice those skills and many others.
Plus, I am a single parent and this work will be on the paycheck before Christmas, so there, bratties!

RadSub19

Feral kids!!!
Old 11-03-2009, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I truly believe that so man parents are raising "feral kids" these days! They just let them run wild and let them "be children" and then expect them to automatically be adults when they turn 18. uhhh, doesnt happen that way.

You can go back and sub at that school...you now know just say NO when and if they ask you to sub for that teacher again!!!!

When the kids ask me questions I tell them flat out if they're being rude anymore...especially if they ask me how old I am or how much I weigh! I am only 5 feet tall and 100 lbs so it really doesnt bug me too much...but its still rude to ask any adult those types of questions.

RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 11-03-2009, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I see it all the time---doesn't matter the socio-economic background...rude is just plain rude and there's more of that going around these days....

I sub in several schools and in the MS and let me tell ya'---no matter where I go these kids have this innate right to ask verrry personal questions....where are you from? you speak strange (I'm from another state); how old are you? Do you have kids?---my response always is "Does that have anything to do with what you're working on? N0?? Then don't worry about it...just get to work."

end of convo and walk away
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

Old 11-03-2009, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I always have girls tell me that I have nice eyes, and one time a girl said I looked like a prettier version of her older sister. For little compliments, I will say "thank you" and move along with the lesson. But if someone is going to insult a sibling to placate me, then I just ignore them. lol
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote
musicteach7

musicteach7

Choir
Old 11-03-2009, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

As a music teacher i know how hard it can be for 44, 60 or 100 kids to be in a room with a sub. As a sub I've noticed even bright, nice kids can turn rude just because they think they can. Keep being strict with them and let them know what will happen if they refuse to follow directions, and also what will happen if they do a good job. Good luck!

The nice thing about subbing is I let the day "wash away" when I walk out the door. Try not to worry about the little issues.

thordau4

Old 11-03-2009, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I did go back to the same HS today. It was funny to me that a couple of the Choir kids said the teacher was really mad and those kids were going to get in trouble. A student who had been in that class apologized to me "for everyone". The way to know if a person is really sorry is if they STOP doing the offensive thing.... we shall see.
I had a class today that was described by the teacher as "difficult" and I had a great time and did a good job. It was vindicating. I'm glad I didn't stay home cowering and crying!

Last edited by thordau4; 11-03-2009 at 07:15 PM..

Teachermom65

Old 11-07-2009, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Good for you for going back with your head held high! I cannot even fathom having over 40 kids in a class! That is nuts. I agree with one of the other posters who said that even "good" kids can become challenging when a sub in in the equation. Bottom line is that change is hard on kids and adults.

I love the attitude of using the sub experience to improve one's own reactions, etc. You have a great way of seeing it as a "lab" to try out ideas. I find that to be the case also. I understand more effective ways to deal with my own kids now that I've been subbing for awhile. Subbing forces you to take a step back and not react to everything...but 44 kids pushing buttons is nuts. Sounds like just lasting until that bell rang was all you could do.

A couple of other folks posted about personal questions. I found that divulging some personal information (of my choosing!) can help break the ice and encourage the kids to see you as a human being instead of a punching bag.

Teachermom65 is offline   Reply With Quote