Help

Substitute Teachers

Half days

>

grav_def

Half days
Old 11-02-2009, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you accept them? I'm getting offered a lot of them lately, and I don't know what to do.

Obviously if it's 10:00 am and I get offered an afternoon job for that day I grab it. But if I get offered one too far out, it feels like such a gamble. Like, today I had a half-day job, 8-12, that I accepted last week sometime. At 7 am I got a call for a full-day job for a teacher I love to sub for. I didn't take it--it didn't seem right to cancel the 1/2 day an hour before it started--but I wanted to. I could have used the money! Now I've got an offer for a half-day for tomorrow, and I don't know what to do with it...

Just wondering what other people's policies about this are.

grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 11-02-2009, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I sure don't take half days when they are posted days in advance! When it's early in the morning, I will let a half go to someone else. If it's closer to 8 a.m or after, and it looks like it will be half or nothing, I take it.
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

YILuv2Teach

Old 11-02-2009, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I definitely don't have a policy for this, because I go back and forth all the time! If it's for the next day or for a class I really like, I usually take it. If it's in advance, I may let it pass in hopes of getting a full day. It's hard though, cause jobs don't stay on aesop for very long. Plus, sometimes it's just nice to have a for sure thing and to not have to spend time calling or searching aesop.
YILuv2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 11-02-2009, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't do half days. It doesn't pay enough.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote
musicteach7

musicteach7

Old 11-02-2009, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I take them because with our system if I reject the job it will not let me accept any jobs for that day. This eliminates people from picking and choosing. You can set your preferences to have no half days, but I believe this eliminates work. Ive also worked 2 half day jobs many times. A half day pays 60 which is still worth it to me.

Smiling Sub

Sometimes..
Old 11-02-2009, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sometimes I do and sometimes, I don't If the date is far away, I will wait and try to get an all day assignment... Although, sometimes if I have a morning assignment, it turns into an all day assignment...which is really nice I'd rather have morning half days because even if it doesn't turn into an all day assignment at least I have the afternoon to get some errands done I really dislike PM half days because I don't know what to do with myself in the morning. I only take PM assignments if I am desperate
Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

kjuda

I'll take half days
Old 11-02-2009, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

...if I've been doing a lot of full days in a row. With Aesop, I've been getting booked in advance for weeks ahead, so when I know I've got a busy week, I will sometimes take a half day as a kind of 'break'.
kjuda is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 11-03-2009, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I know what you mean about risking taking one when a full day might show up, but I do in some cases - like afternoon 1/2 days at the school that's usually too early a start for me (way before my own little one leaves). That way I can get an "in" there for when the schedules match up better later.

I also do morning 1/2-days for a favorite pre-school teacher who only has an AM class.

But one of the reasons I got into subbing is that it IS part time, so I don't mind not being fully booked. I actually like having a little time for errands and housework during the week.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 11-03-2009, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

wow, musicteach7, what system do you use that won't let you reject a job and still work that day? Do they call you? I like AESOP because I can check in and see all that's available and choose what fits best for my day. Do you end up taking jobs that aren't a good fit?
I have a bad knee and taking a PE class would be rediculous for me!
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinder1

Old 11-03-2009, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm only subbing currently for one elementary school that is located in a rural area. I haven't done a half day yet but I do have one schedule around Thanksgiving. However, the whole school has an early dismissal that day.

Kinder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
musicteach7

musicteach7

System we use
Old 11-03-2009, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm in Southern California about an hour from Disneyland. We use the SEMS system so it doesn't let you pick and choose. Of course, if you get a personalized call from another teacher asking for a full day you can cancel the half day and that teacher can mark you a full day pre-arranged but then that gets you a bad mark in the system. You don't get bad marks for passing on jobs if you don't want one but if you cancel them too many times after accepting you get bad marks.

The teachers can ask for your sub number if they like you and can personally mark you for the day on their own computer. The rest is an automated system :-)
musicteach7

musicteach7

Also...
Old 11-03-2009, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

There are very rarely jobs online, and if I do see them I snap them up ASAP. Otherwise it calls you based on the preferences. I only do K-6 right now for one district with 10 schools. I don't care if I don't want the job, I just smile and do the best I can throughout the day, because I am $105 dollars richer at the end :-)

qudiva

Old 11-05-2009, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I do some half days - like today - because it lends some balance into my life. Sometimes having 3 hours off to myself really helps my frame of mind. I feel like its a treat! I even took a half day - AM - next Friday. I figure - most likely - a teacher will want the Friday afternoon and I'll get booked for the PM orrrrrrrrrrrr I will have the Friday afternoon off - WOW!

I also take half days here - where the teacher is only gone the quarter day. Then I only have to work 2 hours but get paid for 4. Usually I do errands in that time - and that's a big help too.
qudiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Amberlee

Half days
Old 11-05-2009, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I've got a half day job for this coming afternoon - I was feeling super sick/exhausted last night so I booked off the morning to recover. Now I feel better AND I can still get in some work time.
Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

I like half days
Old 11-05-2009, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Here they pay 60% of full day salary for a half day, no supervision, I like it!
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

I do half days.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I occasionally work half days.

They pay a bit more than one half of a regular day (8%) and sometimes I like extra hour to sleep in or no lunch, time limits to deal with depending on which half of the day I work.

...Mike
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

Only when desperate.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I sure don't take half days when they are posted days in advance! When it's early in the morning, I will let a half go to someone else. If it's closer to 8 a.m or after, and it looks like it will be half or nothing, I take it.
_______________________________ _________

I follow the policy that you have...I just don't like getting paid for a half-day...

I would not take a half-day job the night before...

I saw a half-day job last night on AESOP...I didn't take it...Today, I am not working...
It's a slow day.

In the past, I have missed working because I refused to take a half-day job the night before.
longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote