Help

Gifted Education

Any Mississippi G/T teachers out there?

>

AngieB.

Any Mississippi G/T teachers out there?
Old 12-29-2009, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you all think about OUR governor's proposal to cut education for next year, including gifted?

AngieB. is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

I am so thankful...
Old 12-29-2009, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

... I live in a state that takes Gifted Education seriously. Not only are there no proposed cuts, but Texas legislators have just approved a new state plan for gifted with more accountability to districts to provide services AND the possibility of extra funding for districts who provide an exemplary rating.

Why is it that states always cut funding to education before other areas? Focus on educating your citizens, and many of the other issues (crime, homelessness, etc.) will begin to take care of themselves!
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

AngieB.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Maybe I'll move to Texas! We've had gifted ed. mandated for 2-6 grades for about 30 + years now, and the law would have to be changed to totally cut it. A lot of districts however, mine included, serve 7-8 grades by choice. Cuts would most likely do away with services for these grades. Our current governor pulls this crap every year around "budget" time. I just hope enough people will speak out against it at the capitol.

magoosmom

I agree
Old 12-29-2009, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach in Lowndes County and I am pretty worried for the next round of cuts. I think we are doing our gifted students a great disservice if the program ends up being cut. I think one reason it's coming under fire is that we are just now getting someone to head up our department at the state level. We haven't had someone in that position for over a year now and we are just now filling that vacancy. That makes it harder for gifted to fight.

I think, depending on the districts, alot of the 7-8 funding will get cut. In our district 7th and 8th graders are also taking gifted in place of READING. That drives me crazy b/c they are still tested in reading and not all gifted are gifted readers, you know? So there's a double threat there to pull gifted so they could receive the reading instruction.

I'm praying, keeping fingers crossed, you name it. Glad to meet another MS teacher though!
magoosmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Artbex

fellow MS gifted ed teachers
Old 12-29-2009, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Didn't we just go through the fear of cuts this fall?

Artbex is offline   Reply With Quote

AngieB.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, we did just face this and it stinks that we're facing it again! I just hope enough people will protest and contact their senators and representatives. I don't know what Haley Barbour is thinking.

tatergirl

teacher of gifted
Old 01-30-2010, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am so frustrated that gifted in Mississippi is going through this again this year! I have already contacted my legislators, but it is sounding pretty dismal. Wouldn't the law mandating gifted for grades 2-6 have to be abolished for gifted to be removed?
tatergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Artbex

Old 02-14-2010, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

That's what I thought too. Have you had your parents contact the legislators too? It is so scary, I am praying really hard for us all.
Artbex is offline   Reply With Quote
powefolks

powefolks

gifted teacher
Old 05-06-2010, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

2012 won't come soon enough. With all the cuts Barber is making to education and vetoing any help the house and senate tries to give, it's a good thing he's uping police and jail funding; because our kids won't have an education! Everything positive Musgrove put into place, he has undone.
powefolks

powefolks

gifted teacher
Old 05-06-2010, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Also, i keep waiting to see what happens to the rainy day fund. Barbour could have saved all of education without hurting much of the rainy day fund - but what do you want to bet that right before he leaves office, he gives it all to some corporation to ensure his post governor situation? Just waiting to see.

powefolks

powefolks

gifted teacher
Old 05-06-2010, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

And have any of you tried to contact Barbour? He does not have an e-mail address, when you call his office they give you an e-mail address - it doesn't work. He doesn't want or care to hear what his public thinks.

WINGS09

Just Joining
Old 05-26-2010, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

What are your budget cuts for next year? Out super told us we are good for the next couple of years but I fear we will get no EEF money in the fall.
WINGS09 is offline   Reply With Quote