Help

ESL/LEP

ESL Student

>

LuvTeaching22

ESL Student
Old 01-11-2010, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi..i am a fourth grade teacher and i have my first ESL student in my class. She seems to have alot of issues with math and reading comprehension. She also happens to miss math 3 days a week because she goes for ESL at that time. I spoke with her parents and she is going to stay after school for 15 minutes on those days that she misses math to go over with me what she missed. Any suggestions or good worksheets to use to help her with math? She does not know her multiplication facts well either. any help would be appreciated! thanks!

LuvTeaching22 is offline   Reply With Quote

read&see

Old 01-18-2010, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is good you have an ESL teacher who can help you out. As far as math, good old flash cards can help.
What language does she speak?
You might try Reading a-z for books at her reading level and if she speaks Spanish you can get Spanish translations from this site.
Graphic organizers are very helpful for comprehension.
Depending on her speaking level she may only be able to do computation for the time being until she has more language.
If you read some of the other posts on this site you may find other suggestions and websites to look at.
read&see is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvTeaching22

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2010, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

She speaks indian. She can speak and write in english very well but its her comprehension of what im teaching that i don't think she always understands. I will try to look for some graphic organizers to help her comprehension and will use flash cards for math. Thanks so much!
LuvTeaching22 is offline   Reply With Quote