Gifted Education

Building Units

>

Units

Units

Building Units
Old 02-01-2010, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am just curious. When you decide to do a unit, what is your basic approach to building the unit and then making sure it is meeting intellectual needs? I find myself constantly second-guessing whether the curriculum is "high" enough or challenging enough for the students. Am I pushing it far enough?

Do you have any suggestions?

MizBee

Old 03-02-2010, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think all teachers of gifted should question ourselves about whether we are challenging our students. I know i do!

I try to keep most of my units open ended so i can extend it for individuals or students can extend it themselves with their own ambition.

I like to give them the tools and the basics, opportunity for research, and a simple final project with lots of choices. For example, a final assignment might be to write a mystery story that shows your understanding of mystery plot elements. You can tell the mystery in a story, picture book, script, or comic strip. With a rubric for each, students know what is expected of them. With the open-ended nature of it, students can take it as far as they can.

If a unit can't be project-oriented, I do a preassessment and then let the students work at their own paces. We did Hands-On Equations (Borenson, awesome). I had some students just showing me that they could master the hardest problems before going on to the next lesson. Some students flew through lessons and some took much longer to master the concepts. So i was constantly teaching lessons for small groups while others worked on their practice.

If you're wondering if you're challenging your students, maybe you could just ask them??
MizBee is offline   Reply With Quote