Help

ESL/LEP

teaching ESL vs remedial reading

>

Carolyn

teaching ESL vs remedial reading
Old 02-11-2010, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I work with a fantastic bunch of classroom teachers, but as far as their knowing what an ESL teacher's job is, they seem to be clueless. They seem to think that my job is to be a remedial reading teacher for ELL's of their classroom. For example, my kindergarten teachers seem to think that if their ELL's know their beginning sounds and know some sight words, they don't need any ESL classroom time.

I have been giving the WIDA test to my students, and their speaking skills are very weak. What they really need are some activites that will help them build their productive language skills. Instead of my doing that, they are assigning me to groups that need specific reading skills, such as letter recognition and sounds.

How can I convince their teachers that I need to pull the children based upon what their specific language needs are?

Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Wild4Teaching

ESL teacher's job
Old 02-11-2010, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I create language action plans for all of my students, and sit down with teachers at the beginning of the year to explain them. I make sure to emphasize the four domains of ESL, and show the teachers the students levels in each. I think this helps to define my role as the ESL teacher. If you would like a copy of the agenda of the meeting I hold in the fall, I would be happy to share, as well as my LAPs, or anything else you think would be helpful! I definitely think the best plan is to sit down with them and explain.
Wild4Teaching is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 02-11-2010, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Wild,

I am switching from teaching 3rd grade to an ESL position next year. Would you mind sharing your language plan and agenda with me?

Thanks so much!

becca
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

Please do!
Old 02-12-2010, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Could you possibly attach that to a post here? I'd really love to have a copy of what you do. I really do like the action plan idea!!! Thanks so much. I makes a lot of sense to me!
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

la_maestra

Old 02-14-2010, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I could sure use that information as well. In our district we do RTI (response to intervention) and they think I should be doing things like phonemic awareness, fluency, etc. Forget that most of my kids, even if they do speak English, don't understand concepts in English. So I have to try to incorporate that along with the ELP standards in a half hour session. I don't feel I'm doing justice to my students these days since the implementation of RTI. Then when I go into the regular classroom to work I feel like a classroom aide (nothing against aides, but that is not my job or training).

la_maestra is offline   Reply With Quote

talk2bethany

ELL/ELD teacher vs "remedial" teacher
Old 02-16-2010, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You need to get your hands on the "Systematic ELD: A Focused Approach" handbook by Susana Dutro. I have used this "framework" and text from it to basically prove to others this very idea. Go to a training if you can, it is well worth it, and your district should pay for it. It clearly defines the teacher's role, the remedial reading (title 1) teacher's role, and the classroom teacher's role.

It is also very helpful in beginning to create lessons that specifically teach using English, writing English and building productive language skills, at their level. It has a quick assessment to level students for the lessons also.

http://www.elachieve.org/

They try to sell you things and memberships, but if you become trained you get a 1 year membership to the web site.

It is a simple framework to use, but can mesh nicely with your ELL/ELD curriculum if you have any. You will spend hours creating lessons if you don't have an adopted curriculum.
talk2bethany is offline   Reply With Quote

sabanna

Message to Carolyn
Old 03-02-2010, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Carolyn:
I totally agree with what you said. I am having the same trouble with the classroom teachers and the administration in my school. I feel more like a reading teacher than an ESL teacher. Everything is based around phonics, sight words, etc. The ESL kids do fine with the beginning sounds and sight words, but have a lot of trouble expressing themselves. Everything seems to be based upon how well they do on their weekly/monthly Lang. Art's tests, and not the ACCESS test.
sabanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Wild4Teaching

Sorry this took so long!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm attaching an example of the LAP I created last year, and the agenda I use with my teachers at the beginning of the year. I teach in VA, which is a WIDA state, so everything corresponds with that. I use the CAN DO descriptors to create objectives for my students. For example, if a student scores a 2.1 in listening, I use the CAN DOs for a level 3 as objectives. Also, during the meeting, I provide copies of the Teacher report, CAN DO descriptors, and several of the other pages from the resource guide. I hope this helps! If there are any other questions, please send me a message!

Wild4Teaching

Ahh!
Old 03-30-2010, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't know how to attach, so I'm going to make a REALLY long post! But apparently I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow, because Windows 2007 is not my friend!