Help

ESL/LEP

Feedback Please?

>

MissESL

Feedback Please?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been contemplating creating a language plan form that I can use when I work with the homeroom teachers of my students. What I want is to have a place that is a quick reference for me and the teacher that both of us can understand with little explanation. My hope is to be able to hold a meeting at the beginning of the year (or when the new student arrives in our building), basically ASAP and fill it out together. I want us to be in agreement and in sync about the expectations we have for the new student.
I would alaso like to follow up and see how the student is progressing once every quarter.
I have a barebones template I've put together. I would like feedback on it, as well as suggestions for information you may add. As I revise it, I will repost it.

I think it'd be great if we could work together to come up with something like this. It seems like it comes up pretty often that we all wish we had something like this. If you hve questions about anythin, please post a reply!

*Note: I do live in a WiDa state; so if you do NOT give the W-APT or ACCESS, you may need to revise that to suit your needs.

Thanks so much everyone.

Attached Files
File Type: doc Language Plan.doc (23.5 KB, 61 views)
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

read&see

Old 02-24-2010, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am attaching a rewritten model of yours. Please revise or toss out if you don't like it!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Language Plan.doc (23.0 KB, 61 views)
read&see is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

read&see
Old 02-24-2010, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You're great at professional language. :-) Much better than me, and adding the home language was a great idea.
I have to keep the IEP/504 plan blank in there, because we have a high number who are both...and it tells us to check for other accommodations, especially when we do standardized testing. :-)

Any other ideas, anyone??? :-)

Carolyn

your plan
Old 02-25-2010, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It is interesting that you are presenting this now. We have made a similar plan at our school, except it is not quite as detailed. I think that what you wrote is excellent.

We are giving all of our students the opportunity for accommodations if they do not score at least 5.0 on the ACCESS test.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 02-26-2010, 10:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Carolyn -- we release them at 4.0 overall, but I usually feel that's too soon!!! :-)

tyrex

Long response
Old 02-27-2010, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In my state each school is required to have a committee meet to decide the modifications for each LEP student. We have a sheet with the modifications that the classroom teacher and parent sign. This sheet is really important because the modifications on it determine the modifications the students get for their state testing. Then the classroom teacher doesn't really have an option NOT to follow the modifications. I mean, the classroom teacher might decide not to, but then she is not following policy/law and could get in trouble. (Not that the teacher would actually get in trouble, but it could happen.) So from my perspective, I don't know that I would want to meet with the classroom teacher and agree on the mods because the teacher might not agree with me about providing mods that the child does need. (Though they are welcome to volunteer for the committee and impact the modifications that way.) Things like guided notes or copies of notes are time-consuming for teachers and I could see a teacher not agreeing to providing that.

I could also see a classroom teacher getting frustrated with the goals because she might feel that her goals for the student are the grade-level goals, and that it is the ESL teacher's job to help the student meet language development goals. I could see some teachers feeling frustrated that this is one more thing on their plate.

Something I do is I make a copy of the WIDA Can Do descriptors and highlight what level the student is at according to the ACCESS scores. I give that to the teacher. I feel like it is helpful for the teachers because they can see what reasonable expectations are for the student. Even if you don't do that, I almost think that it might be more helpful for the classroom teachers to have a list of what the student is able to do independently, rather than a list of goals.

Another suggestion is to include not just initial entry into the district but also into US schools, since those dates might be different. And I can't remember if you included this, but depending on your population it could be helpful to include number of years of schooling in the student's native country.

Last edited by tyrex; 02-27-2010 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: unclear sentence
tyrex is online now   Reply With Quote