Help

Kindergarten

1/2 day--stressed

>

Eli O.

1/2 day--stressed
Old 02-24-2010, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 2 1/2 day classes to all ELL students. We just did our 2nd round of report cards and I am getting frustrated b/c I feel like me and the students are working so hard, and many students are not meeting on the report cards, mostly with number recog. and sight words. They all came in knowing 0 letters/sounds (except for 2 students who knew all and a few knew 1-5 letters), and I know they have made progress. How do you fit it all in? I do calendar and math centers to help with math, but it's so hard to keep up...

Eli O. is offline   Reply With Quote

MaestraM

Don't worry
Old 02-25-2010, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Remember that these are ELL students and they are probably coming to you at a level 1 in English and a level 1 in Spanish which means they have about the same vocabulary in Spanish that they do in English. Give them some time to get some vocab and the rest will come. As for fitting things in, that's what we are all struggling with in a half day class. I would keep them practicing the most important subjects over and over until they internalize it instead of bringing new stuff in.
MaestraM is offline   Reply With Quote