Gifted Education

acceleration

>

connieg

acceleration
Old 02-26-2010, 03:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,

What are your experiences with students who are accelerated? How do you go about justifying the decision? What tests/guidelines or considerations do you use?

This is becoming "the thing to do" at my school recently and I have had a few very gifted kids in my class, but it hasn't always been a good experience. I now have another parent looking into this.

Thanks!

connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

MizBee

Acceleration
Old 03-02-2010, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is a pretty heavy question, and I wonder if no one has responded yet because of the weight.

Acceleration can be a WONDERFUL thing in the right circumstances. The students I have seen full grade accelerated this year are flourishing... in that, I mean they are having to WORK and sometimes even STUDY but are still doing well. They have made friends and said they love their new classes.

Our schools do not have a set protocol for determining a student's eligibility. I am very interested to hear how other schools do it. I have found protocol on the web for various states and districts. I can send these to you if you'd like.

However, in researching for the students we have accelerated (knowing that it is a big decision that will affect many aspects of the student's life, both now and down the road), I found the IOWA scale helpful. You can find it here: http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/Resources/IAS.aspx.

Also, I found this article helpful: http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10174.aspx.

Hope this helps. I look forward to more reading posts!
MizBee is offline   Reply With Quote

oesturtles

Acceleration
Old 03-03-2010, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

At our school district we do not currently have an assessment tool to determine whether or not to accelerate a student. We have what we call a "Child Study Team" or "CST" in which we discuss issues regarding a child's academics. I have found the Iowa scale to be very useful along with other sites. In the CST meetings that we have we would discuss questions and things to consider now and in the future. Upon answering all the questions, the team which consists of the administration, parents, teacher, and a counselor we would then decide whether or not to accelerate a student.

The problem is many think that a grade acceleration will solve the problem. Many don't take into consideration the child's social needs. Often times teachers realize that a child who has been accelerated tends to act a little more "childish" compared to the others who are in the proper grade without being accelerated.

Hope this helps. If your school has not have CST meetings, I highly recommend it. We have had several in which the team decided that we should refer the student to a gifted and talented program instead of a whole grade acceleration.

I'd be interested to know what others do in their schools!
oesturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
SaydeTX

SaydeTX

acceleration
Old 03-03-2010, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am a GT teacher as well as a parent. My daughter was accelerated from kinder to 1st after the 1st 9 week grading period. She was reading on a 3rd grade level and working math at the 2nd grade level. She was given an IQ test (don't remember what form) and a Vineland (not sure how it was spelled) to test for social development before she was advanced. It has been wonderful for her. She has remained at the top of her class until this year, but that is another issue and has made friends quite easily but kept her lower grade level friends as well. I was concerned because it doesn't work for everyone but in her case it was great.