Help

ESL/LEP

Isat lm

>

MissESL

Isat lm
Old 03-05-2010, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The linguistically modified version of the ISAT was new...last year, I think.
This is the first year we're using it. Have you used it before or are you using it now? What do you think? I know one section is not modified at all, which...what's the point again?

The ISAT was written for the gen ed student. Our kids aren't gen ed, they are ESL/LEP. This version is supposed to even the field, so to speak, much like the alternate assessments are supposed to do for the sped. children.

I'm looking forward to everyone's opinion!! :-)

MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

debteach22

Not sure about it
Old 03-09-2010, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I gave the science part to one of my ELLs yesterday. I looked across the table a few times to see the questions' wording. She had great difficulty reading it, and while I haven't seen the gen. ed version this year, I don't think the modifications made much difference.
My biggest problem was it was my first time giving it and didn't know that you are not supposed to test students with gen. ed forms in the same group as those with Form LM for science and math. I didn't, but others may have.
debteach22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kat1019

I don't really see a difference
Old 05-14-2010, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used this LM form this year with my students and didn't notice any difference at all. My students still had a hard time with it. My students were allowed to answer the math extended response questions in Spanish or English, but the way they were set up was kind of confusing. The questions were all in English first, then after that, listed again in English and Spanish side-by-side.
Something needs to change about this, the LM form they've made really doesn't even the playing field. I think they need to give our students a different test that actually tests their academic abilities, without the language barriers.
Kat1019 is offline   Reply With Quote