Intervention & Title I Services

Title 1 reading services

>

door

door

Title 1 reading services
Old 03-31-2010, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What grade levels does your Title 1 Reading program service ? We are considering some changes, currently we service k-3. Wondering about doing comprehension strategies in third and fourth, but is it benificial to go higher than fourth ? I'd like to hear your experiences working with 4-5-6 th grades. Do you find title work makes much of a difference past fourth grade?
Thanks so much

Susan/IN

Old 04-01-2010, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I first started in Title I 30+ years ago (boy that was a long time ago) we worked with K-6. After several years we switched to K-3, then 1-3. A few years ago, I worked only with K-2. Two years ago, when we were noticing our test scores sliding, we picked up third grade, then this year we picked up 4-5. Our scores had been the pits for a few years and as a result we are now in school choice. Our supt. took Title I out of a second elementary and put it into our building alone, so that no other schools would fall into school choice. We also added math at all grade levels. Part of our 4th grade this year decided to work with us and do small guided reading groups, which hopefully has helped with our comprehension. Until all teachers change their ways of teaching though, I'm not sure that having Title in the upper grades will help. Instead, it just makes us look inept. We are spread way to thin and, personally, I don't think we're being used to the best of our abilities. Next year, our building will be K-3; I don't know if any other building will have Title I; we should, but that will be a district call.
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

starjan97

Old 04-01-2010, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We were 1-4, but switched to 1-3 now. We have too many students in the lower grades that need help. Also, we are growing and keep getting new students. Eventually 4th grade might come back.
starjan97 is offline   Reply With Quote

2much2do

4-6th Title
Old 04-05-2010, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Comprehension is so closely tied to fluency that in grades 4-6 I check fluency first. If a student in 4-6 isn't reading between 100-140 words accurately in a minute their comprehension will suffer. When too much brain energy goes into figuring out the words there is not enough energy left to figure out the meaning. I work with students struggling with fluency in their area of need. Some students need some phonics instruction, some need sight words. Google fry sight words and you can find words and fry phrases on powerpoint that is a great tool to get students to recognize those common words and read them quickly. I also use the Read Naturally program with students to increase fluency. It is basically time the student reading a passage. Then model the reading, reread several times and retime the student. Then do a summary of all the information they can remember from the passage. Making reading time 90 minutes for all elementary classes and 120 for struggling readers has nearly eliminated the need for title I in 4-6. Good luck.
2much2do is offline   Reply With Quote