Help

ESL/LEP

sounds

>

MissESL

sounds
Old 04-06-2010, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Even all the way up to my eighth grade class, I have relatively intermediate and advanced ELL students mixing up, v, d, and b sounds. Does anyone have any suggestions for correcting it?
I've tried to correct it in their writing. I find speaking more difficult, because I can't always tell which sound they are saying. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks1

MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

steve12127

Old 04-18-2010, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

try showing them where the lips are for each consonant. notice that the vocal chords are moving for v and b. Next use minimal pairs to practice. play games which require the use of the correct consonant (ie give me the vase. vs give be the base.) there is a lot of stuff by celce-murcia on this.
steve12127 is offline   Reply With Quote

Wednesday

Psychological Reality
Old 08-23-2010, 09:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The term to get your head around is 'psychological reality'. As a language learner, that means if I don't comprehend that the sounds someone else makes, carry MEANING, (forgive capitals - no bold type or italics available) then no meaning will occur in my brain/thinking - it will just be a noise. Likewise, unless I am aware that meaning is conveyed through a sound, I will not produce it. This is a cognitive problem, not a speech problem.
I suspect that for the students you refer to, v, b, d are not separate sounds which carry meaning.
What to do? A good starting point is Minimal Pairs - with pictures (cognitive development). There are commercial cards/packs but you could get some friends around and a box of magazines and make some -it will be time consuming, but a lot richer.
I am not familiar with Steve's recommendation, but I am interested to take a look.
Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote