Why do other teachers make it look easy? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Fifth Grade

Why do other teachers make it look easy?

>

lindsey98

Why do other teachers make it look easy?
Old 05-12-2010, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Some of the teachers at my school seem like they have it all together. Their classrooms are clean, students are well-behaved, and they aren't stressed out. It's amazing! I'm still trying to get behavior under control, as well as keep my classroom clean and my lessons interesting. I wonder how they do it....

lindsey98 is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

September
Old 05-12-2010, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Your description of the classrooms you envy, no doubt started from the get-go. That means day one, in August or September.

The first day of school, arrange students in rows, and have a seating chart. No one out of seat without your direction. After every activity, check the floor, etc . for pick-up if necessary. Keep your lessons short, structured and give quick feed back. All that continues for probably two weeks.

Then, ease back on the seating structure, allowing pod arrangements for a period of time during the day and commensurate group assignments. Stick strongly to NO ONE out of their seat without your direction. The pencil sharpening is done at the beginning of groups, papers that are to be discarded are saved to the end of assignments, not getting up in a constant trip to the trash bin. Take students aside to talk to them and explain how an action they are doing is disruptive. Let them talk to you and explain and agree on a better solution to their reason for wandering around, or hollering across the classroom.

As students will now identify your room with order, you can do individual projects and they know what is expected of them. Even so, at times there will be disorder. Don't raise your voice much, but sternly ask everyone to sit in their seat no matter what is going on. Cross your arms and just smile and perhaps place one finger over your lips. Wait for total quiet. Explain things were a little beyond the room's standards, perhaps pointing out why, and ask them to slowly and quietly go back to their tasks.

This is really too brief, but perhaps it has given you a starting point.
ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

whipper snap

Whole Brain Teaching
Old 05-13-2010, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Check this out on the web. They have free downloads with many, many suggestions for classroom management. I've used some of the ideas this year and have had an amazing year. I get stressed out about some things, but not about classroom management. I am really loving teaching this year. The suggestions are very much like the previous post, but like she said, her's was too short. You'll get a very comprehensive set of ideas from this site. Just google whole brain teaching Chris Biffle
whipper snap is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 05-13-2010, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Lately, I've been stressing "try your best everyday, 100%" I explain the difference between 20% trying and 90% trying.

We just had a class discussion today about why we do "think, pair, share" all the time in the classroom, why it's so important to participate and try your best during that time. I was really thankful for the girls who pointed out why we do(I did too), and how it's not a big deal that your partner is a classmate sitting near you and not your friend. I think this really helped explain why we do it. I have really amazing, sweet girls this year, who try hard a lot, everyday, and love to learn! Then I have this clique of boys this year who hardly try at all and don't work up to there potential...and think that smart people are "nerds". (This is 3rd grade!) So I think this is helping with the spring fever, the stressing trying your best and focusing constantly.

I have different procedures/guidelines for different parts of the day/subject areas and I think this helps with discipline...they like the routine/structure. Anyways, I am stricter during certain subjects or certain parts of lessons.

For example, I am very strict during reading. We use a basal reader at my school. So when we are reading a story the students are to have their books flat, follow along(book marker/postit note or finger), have no objects nor pencils out, have hands/arms on top of their desks and stay out of their desks(my first year of teaching kids were playing cards underneath and in their desks during classtime!!). They must sit up and not lounge around like its their bedroom. We do all sorts of types of reading though, choral reading, oral cloze, round robin, popcorn....I also assign a reading partner by level or they choose a reading partner to practice fluency, they can move wherever they want in the room during that time(including floor).

During math, we use envision. We start with a warmup or math facts test. Then they clear their desk completely, while I introduce the topic etc....(its a script u follow), then we do an interactive partner activity. Then we watch a math cartoon on the computer. After all that, we finally pull out the math books and do guided/independent practice. For independent practice they often stay at their seats, but for harder times they are allowed to work with a partner or two wherever they want in the room.......floor,table, desk, with others or by themself...etc....

I also give little breaks........I will say Stand up and stretch, then take out your workbook.......this helps A LOT!
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote