Help

Fifth Grade

Is it me?

>

scarmen

Is it me?
Old 05-26-2010, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Some days are great with the kids. Other days, my 5th graders frustrate me so much. Everyone raves that I have the best class, and in many ways they are. I think we have just grown too comfortable with each other. They leave the classroom messy, even after I ask them to clean up. They clean up a little and then keep talking. When I'm teaching, they are restless and seem bored and "out of it." I ask the class a question and no one raises their hand. They're probably just not engaged any more. There is also A LOT of talking going on, as well as off-task behavior. I do sometimes run out of energy to always be exciting and smiling. Sometimes I'm just getting through the day.

I feel that my students used to be really engaged with my class. Now, they're like zombies! (This has been happening for a few months now...They sort of checked out a little in February).

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. I've received good reviews and I haven't had any complaints, but I just wish there was more engagement. This is my first year and I have 34 students.

scarmen is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-26-2010, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My class is on an every other day schedule. For example, today was great so I know tomorrow is going to be a nightmare. As for the bored and "out of it"-it's the end of the year and they are "too cool for school". It's so not you-it's the end of the year.

Stay firm, keep your policies, procedures and consequences in place and hang in there!
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
MrsDriver

MrsDriver

My kids...
Old 05-26-2010, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

have been off for a few days now. Normally when they are off I can get them back on track that same day. Not now, to close to end of year. I was so frustrated and tired from them yesterday that today we had a "silent" day. They came in from P.E. and sat at their desks and did their work. The Spanish teacher didn't even let them talk. They weren't allowed to speak at all unless they raised their hand and I acknowledged them. I had one who kept getting out of his seat to come and talk to me and I never even looked at him. He did this about 5 times before he finally got it. It was a wonderful day. No noise at all. My neighbor teacher was jealous.