Help

Fifth Grade

5th Grade Math

>

Teach4Life001

5th Grade Math
Old 05-28-2010, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be teaching 5th grade next year and I am a little intimidated by the math standards, ok more than a little. Of course, I have the content knowledge which is half the problem, I am just intimidated at the prospect of teaching all of this to 10 year olds. Does anyone have a great book resource or website that provides clear strategies for teaching some of these more difficult concepts?

Teach4Life001 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-28-2010, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had a great 5th grader! No kidding, he was polite, respectful and corrected me all the time. I really should have paid him part of my per diem! (Part of my problem was I didn't plan math and didn't look at it before I taught it ).

I don't have any websites, but I do sympathize. All I can suggest is to plan it out beforehand and do the math first so you can explain. It helps if you have done it. Also, just because the book explains one way doesn't mean that's the best or only way.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

melis676

website
Old 05-28-2010, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you go to teachertube.com sometimes you can find video clips that break down the steps for different math problems and teach the concept. This is a great way to brush up on your skills, and I have even shown them to my students if we were having a more difficult time on a certain concept.
melis676 is offline   Reply With Quote

LindyJo

A few faves:
Old 05-28-2010, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For negative numbers - Less Than Zero is a picture book about a little penguin who wants to buy an ice scooter and goes into debt to do so. Fab. resource.

For fractions, I love Funny and Fabulous Fraction Stories. It's a teacher resource book from Scholastic and will help teach all the skills related to fractions, and it really is funny! You need to add in some of the organization aspects in order to keep multi-step problems straight (like adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators).

For factors, google The Factor Game online. It's a fun way to review factors of a number. I usually show my kids how to play with the computer, then use copied pages that are laminated for partner play in class.

For algebra - Hands on Equations is the best thing out there, in my opinion. If you don't have that system, see if you can get your principal to buy it. Kids each have a paper scale and a baggie of pawns (like Sorry! pieces) and cubes. Each pawn in a variable, so this:
pawn + pawn + pawn = 6

really means 3x=6.

Also, if you have Smart Technology there are tons of lessons on so many topics online.

Good luck to you!! Teaching all those concepts to 10 year olds isn't easy... but it can still be a lot of fun!

I'm going to try to attach the HW Helper that I send to parents each year too. If you'd like the Microsoft Publisher version, PM me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Math Homework Helper for Parents.pdf (44.6 KB, 242 views)
LindyJo is offline   Reply With Quote

ghawk

Old 05-28-2010, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I also use Hand's on Equations and love them. Thank you so much for the homework helper sheet for parents. I saved it and will use it next year. I also use Singapore Math Word Problems as a problem of the day. I started off using level 4 and moved most of the way through level 5. These multi-step problems challenge my advanced math class. By the end of the year my students had wonderful critical thinking skills.

ghawk is offline   Reply With Quote

emmy's momma

Old 05-28-2010, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love the homework helper sheet for the parents! I can't wait to adapt it for my class for next year. Thanks!
emmy's momma is offline   Reply With Quote

Meggin

Nutshell Math
Old 05-28-2010, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Get a free teacher's membership at Nutshell Math. They have several actual textbooks to choose from, and whiteboard-style lessons you can watch to see how another teacher would teach the lesson. Turn up your audio to hear what the teacher says.
Meggin is offline   Reply With Quote

mathteach

5th grade math help
Old 05-29-2010, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Jon Van de Walle books are a huge help! We departmentalize and I only teach math. We have also ability grouped our students- which has really helped the low performing students grow b/c they HAVE TO participate-no smarty answering all the questions before they have time to process the question. I also had great growth with the highest group b/c they were not held back waiting for the "I don't get it" crowd. I would be glad to help you with anything you need.
mathteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

5th Grade Math
Old 05-29-2010, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This site is full of very helpful lessons:
http://mathlearnnc.sharpschool.com/c...pageId=5051238

Look at the week by week essentials and the classroom strategy sections.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach4Life001

Thanks
Old 05-29-2010, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice and encouragment. I am excited to learn about the Hands On Equations. I completed a proposal on DonorsChoose.org for a class site so fingers crossed!

Teach4Life001 is offline   Reply With Quote

JoSo

Rsources
Old 05-31-2010, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

i really liked the comment about planning for math. I think that we have issues because we don't think about all teh possible strategies that students can create and when they ask a question we don't know what to do. So plan out all startegies that can happen. Also VanDeWalle is like teh bible for math. He also has a center book for junior and primary math. You can also check out Cathy Fosnot for her units of study. Full ten day units with questions and samples to go through. She has videos of teh problems to from teachers teaching teh lessons. its great.
JoSo is offline   Reply With Quote

manders312

Old 06-28-2010, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I agree with JoSo in that VanDeWalle is amazing!! I don't know how i taught math before that book. Completely worth the money and there is very little that I don't use in it. Letting kids develop EFFICIENT strategies beyond the standard algorithm is what they need to truly understand what they are doing, not just memorizing steps.
manders312 is offline   Reply With Quote