Help

Fifth Grade

Reading workshop

>

BRONX

Reading workshop
Old 05-28-2010, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering if anyone uses reading workshop with their students? If so do the students write you letters after reading or do they complete a reader response? Also, is anyone using "Independent Reading Inside the box"? I saw the resource mentioned here and wanted to know if it would go with the TC model.

BRONX is offline   Reply With Quote

dlynneteacher

Using Reading Workshop
Old 05-28-2010, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have been using reading workshop for 5 years. I just moved to 5th last year, and will continue using it in 5th this year. I personally quit using the letter format after my first year of teaching RR (3rd grade at the time). It just didn't work for me- or maybe I gave up too soon. I am currently using post its and a column chart format in thier reading response notebook. They use whatever they are reading. For example, if we are studying cause & effect, their column headings are: page#, cause, effect, respose. I always model what I want from them a common story we read together. Students somplete the assignments during independent reading. It worked well for the kids as well as myself. I love RR, I work on it every year, and I fell I have gotten better and better.
dlynneteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kay/5

Letters
Old 05-28-2010, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm not sure if I'm using my Reader's Notebooks the way you were or not but I love using them. I have each student write me a letter about their silent reading book once a week. Then, I respond back to each student on the day that his/her's is due. I've had some wonderful conversations with my students through their notebooks. And, they're wonderful to look back through at the end of the year to see how the student has grown.
kay/5 is offline   Reply With Quote

noclue

Old 05-28-2010, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I LOVED LOVED LOVED writing letters back and forth to my students!! You learn soooo about them this way. Expecially when they have connections to the story.

I also did a read aloud called The Book of 100 Truths, and made them write 100 truths in their journals. It was wonderful!!
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Old 05-30-2010, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I did the letters too with my 4th graders! I really liked them. I thought at first it was a mammoth amount of work, but I learned to collect 5 a day and then it didn't seem so overwhelming. The letters that they wrote were so insightful at times and they looked forward to seeing what I wrote back to them. I often asked a question or two in my responses to them that went along with our focus skill. For instance, Can you give me some character traits of your main character with support from the text? What connections can you tell me about today? Sometimes we would talk about our favorite part or what we thought was funny or meaningful.. So the letter writing works for me and my students.

What is "independent reading inside the box?" What is TC model? The way I do RW I have never heard these terms.

BRONX

letter writing vs. comph skills
Old 05-31-2010, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks dlynn,

It is not that I don't like the idea of the letters back and forth but I like teaching the comphrehension skills. I did it through reader responses and graphic organizers in first grade and the more I read it is the same in fifth grade. Are there any other professional resources you have used? I have strategies that Teach and am just about done reading it.

Thanks,
Bronx

BRONX

Tc and Inside the box
Old 05-31-2010, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hi tatum,

TC means teachers' college. I am a big fan of Lucy Calkins and Georgia Heard and kathy Collins. I used them religiously in first grade and would love to carry over their philosophy in 5th.

I am not too sure about Inside the box but I heard about it here on the board. I think it is a page with 6 to 8 boxes for the kids to write responses in based on their comph. skill. I am trying to find out more.

Thanks,
Bronx

dlynneteacher

professional resources
Old 06-01-2010, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Strategies that work by harvey and goudvis is my bible for teaching RR. Last summer, I bought Comprehension Toolkit by the same authors. It really helped my nonfiction strategies. They are both amazing. I also used parts of In the Middle by Nancie Atwell. I am a huge fan of hers also. This book is geared toward middle school but applicable to 5th also. This year I will working on her suggestion of using poetry to help with comprehension. In previous years I only used poems for fluency, vocab, and literary devices.
Personally, each year I focus on one aspect of RR and WR and really work to perfect it.

BRONX

RW and WW
Old 06-01-2010, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I always tried to add something to both my workshop times when I taught first grade but now moving to 5th I have to add everything. It is a bit overwhelming right now for me. I did use the Primary Toolkit so hopefully the district will get me the secondary version to help me out.

Do you have your students fill out a reading log in addition to the comprehension skills?

Thanks so much for all of your help.

Bronx

dlynneteacher

Reading Log
Old 06-01-2010, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Bronx, I know it does seem overwhelming, but don't worry, you will get it together. You are doing the right thing, getting everything together now before the school year starts. I do use a reading log. I think it works really well, especially for the high and medium readers. I am working on my low readerscause they tend to be somewhat lazy in completing it or loose it even though I have a set place the kids are to keep it. I now offer bonus points it.