Help

ESL/LEP

Avenues or Words Their Way

>

SportingKC

Avenues or Words Their Way
Old 05-29-2010, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am switching from a classroom teacher to a full time ESL position. About 7 years ago the school i work at had a full time ESL/Migrant teacher. The funding ran out, and the position was cut.

Since I am switching, I really feel like I am having to start from scratch. I went down and found some things in the ESL room today.

I found the ESL Curriculum "Avenues" and our ESL paras have been using Words their Way for ELL's this past year.

Has anyone had any experience using these? Opinions?

I need a plan of attack so that I can convince my principal that me doing Words Their Way for our Tier 3 students may not meet their needs.

I want to convince her that a pull-out/push in program would work best for our school.

SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Wild4Teaching

Old 05-29-2010, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't think that tier 3 students (I'm assuming that they are higher level students) would benefit as much from WTW. Actually, that doesn't seem like the best plan for lower kids either. I think that teaching vocab and sentence structure is much more important than spelling. Just my opinion.
Wild4Teaching is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 05-29-2010, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's what I think too. I am just trying to figure out how to propose this to my principal.

Thanks for your confirmation

read&see

Old 05-29-2010, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

But you can teach vocabulary using WTW. And there is a WTW for ESL.
read&see is offline   Reply With Quote

NIUTeach

Avenues and Words Their Way
Old 05-29-2010, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach in a bilingual classroom and we use Avenues for our ESL minutes (I teach 2nd). There needs to be a lot of support for Avenues; I feel it can be very hard sometimes -- it will be fine for tiers 1 and 2.

Tier 3 is usually the lower learners and that is where I see Words Their Way coming into place. I see more small group, one-on-one instruction working for that (which is perfect for tier 3 in general).

Good luck!

NIUTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Wild4Teaching

Old 05-29-2010, 11:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You can teach vocab with WTW, but I think there are better resources. Just my opinion... I've only been teaching 2 years, but thats been my experience. I've never worked with Avenues... but my county has Cornerstone by Longman, and both me and my students really enjoy that! I'm sure that doesn't help much given tight budgets, but I just thought I would throw it out there.
Wild4Teaching is offline   Reply With Quote

kristen_teach

Wtw
Old 05-30-2010, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We use WTW in the general classroom. I think it is a great spelling program for ELLs because it is so individualized. However, I don't like the idea of that being the ELL instruction.

Could you have these ELLs use it in place of the regular ed. spelling program (and be aware that vocabulary instruction needs to go on with it) and then use a specific ELL program also? I am not familiar with Avenues but if it is a reading/writing program, it would be perfect.
kristen_teach is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 05-30-2010, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don't have any specific opinions about Avenues, what I've seen so far seems to make sense.

My biggest concern with Words Their Way (even the ESL version) is that it doesn't really present vocabulary in context. We are a project based learning school, and my feeling is that my time would be best used teaching vocabulary in context, than having the students cut out and paste for the entire time.

I just need to write up a proposal and send it to the principal and see what she thinks about my schedule and ideas.

Fitz_Reads

Old 06-24-2010, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I worked with a different program this past year - Read Well. I was extremely pleased with the language and academic gains my students made - especially my pre-emergent and emergent students. It incorporates the 5 components of reading instruction and I was able to do this with a pull out model.
Fitz_Reads is offline   Reply With Quote

talk2bethany

Avenues & WTW
Old 08-29-2010, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I use both Avenues and Words Their Way for ESL's in my pull-out ELD program. WTW is wonderful for the emergent students-use the picture vocabulary to learn letter sounds and vocabulary at the same time. I then use Avenues and the rest of the writing and reading program that goes with Avenues for the higher levels. Avenues can be skinnied down to about a 30 minute session per day-focus mainly on the forms and functions, along with the vocabulary. I try to just cut out all of the stuff that is "reading" instruction, and focus on just the ELD component. If you are given the time to do reading instruction, which Avenues is designed to do, then it will work well for your ELL's also. WTW can just complement all of your Avenues stuff. WTW is not a curriculum-it is a framework for teaching vocab and spelling patterns. You can use it however you want to. I have been using both for the past 3 years and have exited my higher level students each year from the ELL program.

talk2bethany is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Bulletin Boards for ELL?
Old 09-06-2010, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Do any or many of you create a focus wall or theme wall for your ELL units? I teach 2nd grade and we use Avenues. I left space for one under my data wall but I'm not sure where to begin. I haven't taught ELL for 16 years! I would love to hear or see some examples.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote