Fifth Grade

Storyworks

>

trasie

trasie

Storyworks
Old 05-29-2010, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been told that I will be able to get one magazine for student use in my classroom. I looked at this online and thought it looked good but was wondering what those of you who get it think of it. TIA

Jccarter

storyworks
Old 05-29-2010, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I like Storyworks quite a bit, however, I used it when I taught 7th grade Language Arts. I think it is written at a higher reading level and depending on how well your students read will depend on whether it is appropriate for your classroom. What we decided to do this year with our Time for Kids subscription was to get half of the copies at the 4-6th grade level and half at the 2-3rd grade level....the covers are the same, the same stories are covered, but the writing is simpler and not so overwhelming at the lower level. So, yeah, I loved Storyworks, however, my concern at 5th grade would be with such varying levels of readers, meeting the needs of all the students....(unless of course all your students are at or above grade level in reading)
Jccarter is offline   Reply With Quote

mooseweaver

I use Storyworks . . .
Old 05-30-2010, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

it has been a fun addition to my fifth grade reading program--the stories are leveled by lexile and so I can assign different stories to different students as needed, or use the higher leveled stories for guided reading. I tend to use this magazine when I have a sub, or sometimes for homework. It is considered a treat by the kiddos...

It also has a number of online resources..guided reading worksheets, vocabulary pages, comprehension quizzes, etc. that you can print if you wish. I like it enough to buy it with my own money some years. . .
mooseweaver is offline   Reply With Quote