Help

The Job Search

I want to cry...vent

>

ClassWatcher

I want to cry...vent
Old 06-23-2010, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just found out the school I had really hoped to get hired on at just hired the S's daughter. What?!? Is that even allowed? They didn't even do interviews. :O

I'm thinking of shredding my teaching certificate and forgetting about teaching. I'm not vain...I am an awesome teacher, it's my calling in life...but apparently due to politics, it is a long distance call and short of pulling an Oprah and opening my own school in Africa I will never teach b/c I wasn't born to the right family.

How can we teach kids in poverty that they can go out and make their dreams come true when nobody is willing to give them a shot b/c they don't know the right people.

Sorry, I spent my childhood trying to survive, getting to know just the right people was way down on my list. (Insert ridiculously long/loud scream here).

I'm so fed up!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forget wanting to cry...I just started. :'(

Last edited by ClassWatcher; 06-23-2010 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: spelling
ClassWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Bc45

:(
Old 06-23-2010, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's awful! I'm so sorry!
Bc45 is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 06-23-2010, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm so sorry! Hiring the super's daughter...that's just ridiculous!

I don't know what else to say anymore...as you know, I'm just as frustrated as you are. Hang in there...
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher.kate

Old 06-23-2010, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am so sorry Please don't give up!! I am just as frustrated as you.. So I do understand.

In the school I worked in this year, the Super's wife was a staff member.. I don't know how I feel about that.. But DAUGHTER? Not cool.
teacher.kate is offline   Reply With Quote

berrygirl

Old 06-23-2010, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm sorry. Unfortunately, things like that happen all the time at the district where I sub. Three teachers at one school are children of board members! I see people get hired all the time without ever seeing a position listed anywhere (and believe me, I check everywhere!) It's incredibly frustrating to me but what can I do?

berrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Huh?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Are these public schools? Because if so, there are rules for how they post a job. I would contact the union. I know in my district, there a requirements for posting the job, interviews, how they evaluate interviews, etc.

Not that people still can't game the system, but at the very least they have to PRETEND to follow the policy. If they didn't have any interviews for the position, I'd complain to the union or school board about it.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 06-23-2010, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
Not that people still can't game the system, but at the very least they have to PRETEND to follow the policy. If they didn't have any interviews for the position, I'd complain to the union or school board about it.
That all sounds good in theory, but in real life there are a couple of problems with it:

First and foremost, if you're going to try for the next opening in this district, the last thing you need is for the school board to know you as the troublemaker who complains about stuff.

Secondly, I'd almost rather they just do it this way than jerk everyone along by posting what are essentially fake openings, and wasting my time with writing essays and going to interviews. (And I say that having interviewed for a position I really wanted that ended up going to the daughter of someone who worked at the school.)
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher.kate

Old 06-23-2010, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have to agree, grav_def.. I hate when they post openings, and then you apply and sometimes even have a (five minute) interview and then find out it went to an internal candidate. I would much rather not ever see the openings posted!
teacher.kate is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 06-23-2010, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've been on interviews too where it was clear that there was an internal candidate and it sucks. But the situation she was talking about - the Sup's daughter being hired -- is nepotism. That seems way more egregious than simply hiring an internal candidate.

And I would suggest contacting the union or school board anonymously, if you're worried about repercussions. The system does not change until people start making it change.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

happytosub

Old 06-23-2010, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Sorry Classwatcher.

happytosub is offline   Reply With Quote

fredflintston

Old 06-23-2010, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

So sorry. I know how it feels. Few years back my school district where I live interviewed 2 candidates and gave the position to the principal secretary's daughter. Of course the second candidate they interviewed was not even qualified for the position so they planned it that way - they did not want to interview anybody who was qualified for fear they may "steal" the job away from the daughter.
fredflintston is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 06-23-2010, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The school that did not rehire me the year before last had the super's daughter, the assistant super's daughter, and several principals' daughters on staff. The AP of the school was a school board member's son who seven years experience as a P.E. teacher and did not even have a master's degree.

Nepotism definitely sucks but, at least in that district, was a fact of life.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

EmilyP103

Old 06-24-2010, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

So sorry, I subbed in a district where I saw a lot of things like that going on....very frustrating for sure! It just seems odd with all of the qualified applicants out there, they happen to hire someone related to an administrator...hmmm!
EmilyP103 is offline   Reply With Quote

jo

Sorry.....but
Old 06-24-2010, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Sorry....but I have heard many people and businesspeople tell me that it's not what you know, but who you know. In fact, I tell my own kids, you have to network, that person may get you a job.
jo is offline   Reply With Quote

starjan97

:(
Old 06-24-2010, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

That's crummy. We just had a school board members wife interview, but I'm not sure she got the job.
starjan97 is offline   Reply With Quote

lovegrowshere

Old 06-24-2010, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I'm so sorry about this. Don't give up!! You will get something if you keep on trying.
lovegrowshere is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassWatcher

Old 06-24-2010, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I would like to thank everybody for helping me feel better. I still am very discouraged and really don't want to give up on my dream; however, if things keep going unfairly like this then I will have to. I can't raise my daughter on the piddly amount I make as a substitute. It is awful b/c I know I am a wonderful teacher, but I just can't showcase my talents b/c of all the politics. A public school is meant to operate for the public and not for political endeavors. (sp?).

To Jo...

I am glad you are teaching your kids to network, I hope if you are teaching that you do the same for your students as a number of them will be growing up in homes like mine where networking isn't important I wasn't taught to network, I was taught to do just enough to survive, but have always had a will to go beyond my raising and help kids who feel stuck in theirs. I want to show them how they can do better than survive in this world. I want them all to leave me know how to go beyond survival and to reach success.

Please all of you out there do that for your students. Even in something as dealing with yet another fight b/w certain students can be a teachable moment about how networking might play to their advantage in the future.

Good luck to all you out there searching for jobs, I wish there were enough openings for us all.

Last edited by ClassWatcher; 06-24-2010 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: grammar

daisyflower

Old 06-25-2010, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Guess I'm a little late, but I wanted to add my consolation, too. It's bad all over, but the thing is, once it hits bottom, it can only go up from there. I know we are all desperate for that day. Online hugs, classwatcher.
daisyflower is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassWatcher

Old 06-26-2010, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Thanks Daisyflower!

wcb34me

It's Everywhere
Old 06-29-2010, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

My heart is breaking for you. I completely understand what you're going through, as I've encountered the same thing time after time. The most important thing for you to remember is that this political back-scratching goes on everywhere. It seems to be most prevalent in small towns and communities, but it's surely all over the place.

The one thing I can tell you is that you must keep your chin up and push on. The right job for you is out there, and you will be happier in a district that truly wants your talents and not your last name.

Remember...chin up, push on, good things are sure to come your way...soon!
wcb34me is offline   Reply With Quote