Help

The Job Search

Finding another job in teaching??

>

DisTeach1

Finding another job in teaching??
Old 11-28-2005, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in my first full year of teaching, and am not happy. I am teaching 6th grade and it was my last choice. Previous to this, I worked part-time in accounting, and would love to go back to part-time, however, I would love to stay in teaching. I'm thinking of not renewing my job at the end of this year, and completing my special ed credential. That would mean subbing, tutoring, or some other part-time job next year. Eventually, I would want to find a full-time job. Any opinions? Am I nuts to leave a job when teaching jobs are so hard to come by? I live in CA and am 38. My age is a worry also!

DisTeach1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Nic

sped
Old 11-29-2005, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

See if your district has a need for special ed teachers. If they do and if you are in the process of getting your sped credential you may be able to work while you're doing it on an emergency credential. Good luck.
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
AW

AW

Give it some time
Old 01-18-2006, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My advice would be to give it at least another 2 years. You may get a great group of kids next year and love it! Also it is always hardest your first year. Just think how much easier it will be next year when you can reuse your lesson plans. With all of us out here wanting to teach and can't, I'd keep what you have! You can always go back to accounting anytime. With the tight job market don't give up a job/classroom unless you are willing to completely walk away. Talk to your Princ. about working on your sp ed credential while teaching. Of course the first year is your hardest! Have you read First Days of School by Wong? Have you really sought out resources and did your very best in your first year? I'm just getting you to ask yourself questions. I'm not saying you are a bad teacher. Don't toss away what is so hard for so many of us to get.
Sandy E

Sandy E

veteran teacher
Old 01-29-2006, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi, take it easier on yourself. Having taught for almost 20 years and 6th grade for 3 years, you need more time to reflect on a career change. The first year is always tough! You're learning how to teach, and kids can take advantage of that. Hang in there. Keep your options open but look at all the positive things you and the students do together each day, however small. Classes can be difficult, but each year changes. Each year you grow and learn. Learn from your students, whether it's good or bad. Good luck!

Penny

switching grades
Old 01-29-2006, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Maybe there will be an opening in your school and you'll be able to transfer to another grade that will be more comfortable for you. I did 6th grade for 5 years. It's a weird age and I never got comfortable with it--but I'm really glad I had the teaching experience. It was a good launching point.

I agree with the advice you've been given. Don't make any rash decisions the first year. Next year you'll have files in your cabinet and be able to build on what you've been doing. Next year will be easier. Many teachers don't like their first year no matter what grade they have. There's also shifts in staff every year--so you might be able to move out of 6th. I wouldn't give up yet.

Penny is offline   Reply With Quote