Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Very small classroom ideas

>

learntogether

Very small classroom ideas
Old 07-01-2010, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am moving to a very small classroom this year. I won't be able to fit the interlocking foam carpet squares from Sam's that I like so much for circle time. Half the room has carpet and will need to be very multi-purpose. I am thinking of buying some fabric circle place mats to lay down where I want the kids to sit for circle times and be able to pick them up for center times. I figure it will be easy to take them home and wash them every so often. Has anyone ever tried this? Also, please post any good ideas you have for making a small Pre-K classroom work.

learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote

treetoad

Old 07-01-2010, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

placemats is a great idea and if you get them two sided you could have them laid out in a pattern the first day with boy girl seating . Kids could grab them to isolate themselves anytime. Playing with small items could also be limited to using them on on the mat. I think I would get oval instead.
treetoad is offline   Reply With Quote

dboogieluv

Poly Spots
Old 07-01-2010, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used poly spots so that the kids would know where to sit. I printed out labels with their names and stuck them on the spots. They had to find their names on the spots before they could sit down. The spots were placed randomly each day for circle time. One of our classroom jobs was collecting the spots after circle time.
dboogieluv is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

Old 07-01-2010, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have some foam circles that are about 6 inches in diameter from the craft section of Walmart. I lay those out when we do indoor motor skills (rainy days) to space the kids far enough apart. I'm not familiar with the word poly spots. Are they pretty much the same foam circles, or is it a particular product?

Valone

Old 07-01-2010, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just use an inch of masking tape.
:-)

sooooooooooooooooo how small is it?

Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

Valone
Old 07-01-2010, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have only been in it once briefly, but I would guess about 20 by 24. I will have 12-14 students.
One wall is filled with student cubbies and a computer desk. I am hoping that I can reconfigure the cubbies, but I don't know whether they are attached to the wall. Another wall has a dry erase board that is probably 8 feet wide and a 4 ft square bulletin board on each side. One wall has a wider bulletin board and a big window (I plan to put the one extra table by that window for science center) and a file cabinet and the fourth wall has a door to a restroom, two closets, a big bookcase for puzzles and the classroom door. Frankly, I am worried about how much space my pocket chart stand and big book easel will take up, but I really use them every day. I need to keep the two big kidney shaped tables on the tile floor half of the room since the kids eat lunch in the room. (The students sit around those two tables). The half of the room that is carpeted will have to be dramatic play, books, blocks, and circle and the computer table is already filling one corner and can't be moved. I am big on dramatic play center and having lots of books in tubs, and comfortable places for kids to read, so...I am worried about the lack of space, but so happy about everything else with the position that I will make it work! My old room was big but had no cubbies, no computer, no restroom, etc. I am grateful to have all these things, but will definitely need to downsize my stuff. I picked a new name because I got tired of "happytosub" (http://www.creativeprek.webs.com) since I no longer sub.

Jackie24

Old 07-01-2010, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have index cards that have shapes or colors or letters or numbers on them (they change throughout the year always starting with colors) that I tape onto the rug and then I hand out corresponding cards and the children have to match their card to the shape on the rug. This way I can control who sits next to who, cards are down in a pattern and it is another opportunity to teach readiness skills. I have a song that I sing to get the cards back. Shape card shape everyone has a shape card, who has ....
Jackie24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 07-01-2010, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Isn't it amazing that our child care laws (in my state) require 35 square feet of indoor play space per child, yet in public schools many teachers work in closets and offices.

I have had classrooms much smaller then yours(but not that many children).

I have put the 3M removeable hooks and had charts on the back of the door and that hang over the top of my whiteboards and chalkboards. I have utilized window space at times.

I also USED TO HAVE an 8' loft. The downstairs haad my dramatic play, kitchen area, a puppet theater window and a door (with a knob). There were stairs to the 'second floor'. There I had the quiet area things; listening center, beanbags, puzzles and books.

I am trying to get my loft back (janitors dismantled and threw the last one away, saying 'someone told us to do it'. But still working on that.

Yes, I have made shapes, letters and numbers on the 'tape spots' on the floor. I've also used theme stickers. Although I have carpet squares, I really don't use them for circle time. The children pick the foam off the back and wear them as hats..... just too distracting.
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

IDEA

Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have used mats before, I had several kids scooching them closer to friends or closer to me during circle times. I ended up using the large animal notepads and putting them down with contact paper. During centers, I used that area as well. I changed the animal/object out with the seasons.
IDEA is offline   Reply With Quote

Kalani310

Rearrange?
Old 07-30-2010, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Since you already have a carpet can you re-arrange the squares or switch it up a little bit?
Or is it too small for that?

Kalani310 is offline   Reply With Quote

cis3688

Thank you for the encouragement
Old 06-18-2011, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

This past school year, I taught my first preschool class. I loved every minute of it, the only bad thing is that my room is very very small ( 10 ft x 10 ft back room and 15 ft x 12 ft front room). All school year long I kept changing my classroom around trying to find solutions for my setup. I had 10 students and the teacher before me did not even offer centers, simply because the room is so small. A few weeks ago I found out that my new classroom will be a few feet smaller ( 22 ft x 10 ft) playing around with some programs online, I started to feel very discouraged, but your entry and more specifically your website are a total inspiration. Thank you very much and keep up all the great ideas.

cis3688 is offline   Reply With Quote