Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Title 1 Reading-- Go in or Take out

>

SmileandLaugh

Title 1 Reading-- Go in or Take out
Old 07-04-2010, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know a lot of title 1 reading teachers are now going into the classroom during guided reading groups. Which one do you do? What do you prefer? How are most teachers to you with going into their classroom?

SmileandLaugh is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

Old 07-04-2010, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you are a Title I teacher in a targeted assisted school, you can't use guided reading time as your only contact with Title I students because that is supplanting services, not supplementing them. So if you help with guided reading groups you should be seeing identified Title I students sometime else during the day. It doesn't always work out that way but if that's what you're asked to do just realize you're probably not in compliance. If Title I is school wide, then that's different. I enjoy going into the classroom, generally, but not to be a glorified assistant or to take over the teaching so the classroom teacher can do whatever. If you can work a combination of both, to me that is the best!
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Meteach

Both push in and
Old 07-05-2010, 03:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

pull out. We do lit block for an hour with the classroom teacher... guided reading groups. Then later in the day we do an intervention group (usually 3 kids) for 30 minutes as pull out for Tier 2 kids. Tier three kids usually get an extra 20 or 30 minutes sometimes before school or in addition to all the rest.
Meteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Earvel

It's a Long Way to the Reading Room
Old 07-06-2010, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Several years ago I did an action research with my school, students, teachers, and parents. I asked which they preferred, pull out or push in. I was surprised at some of the results. The younger students actually preferred for me to come into the classroom (K-1) my 2-3 students liked coming into our reading room and well, fourth grade everyone preferred that I come into the classroom. Teachers in K-2 for the most part, and parents as well liked the pull-out practice better, because they felt it was a more controlled environment of one to one/small group which addressed individual needs better. Third grade teachers and parents preferred the reading teacher coming into their classroom.
The tricky part is being as effective in the classroom as you can be in your pull-out program - and remember that this is in addition to the regular classroom teacher's reading instruction.
I no longer work as a Title one reading teacher, I am a Literacy Coach, in which I go into the classrooms all the time, and no pull-out instruction. The key to working with the teachers is to focus on the needs of the students (using the student data) and then decide together with the teacher what is the best way to proceed. Sharing the teaching duties is the best for everyone. Having two teachers in the classroom after the mini lesson to help guide and direct is wonderful.
Earvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sherry McNam

Sherry McNam

Titile I PARA
Old 07-18-2010, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hello,

I am a Title I PARA. I currently do both. I spend ˝ my day in guided reading groups inside the classroom. The second ˝ of the day is spent pulling those children out for private reading group time. I love it! The Kids love it! The teachers I work with are very fun. They come up with the guided reading material for the classroom time. It usually is a book with comprehension question or writing. On Fridays in one class we play different types of reading games. The pull out time is gear towards children’s reading needs and we have very structured reading programs we use.

bGracie

Old 07-23-2010, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Where I worked for the past two years, we did push-in that turned into pull-out. We were supposed to stay in the classroom, but we ended up taking our groups out. The classroom just became too crowded and noisy with three groups doing three different things. The students seemed to be able to focus better.
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

D5fan

I started last year doing push in as much
Old 07-24-2010, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

as possible because that is what the district wanted. I prefer pulling my groups out because there is often too much going on around them in the classroom. Quite a few have attention issues and watching classmates do centers or stroll around the room is too distracting. Some classes are quieter and it can be done. I always ask my students and they love coming to my room. They like the change of scenery and they like the quiet, relaxing atmosphere.
D5fan is offline   Reply With Quote

minnesota

pull out and push in
Old 09-27-2010, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is my third year teaching Title I reading and I am so looking forward to the combination of pushing in and pulling out. Each grade level is assigned a common pull out time of 2 hours per week; and a push in time of 1 hour per week. I am servicing 15 classrooms (grades 2-5)
The previous years all title I reading was pull out and I am looking forward to the change. -
minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote