Help

Kindergarten

1/2 Day Kinder Help!

>

teacherlady86

1/2 Day Kinder Help!
Old 07-10-2010, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Next year I will be teaching half day kinder. I will only be teaching one class and another teacher will be teaching the P.M. class. I have a few questions for those of you who have taught 1/2 day kinder....

1) How to you do nametags with two sets of students sharing a spot?
2) How do you share a behavior management chart? Or do you have two seperate ones?
3) How do you store notebooks/folders/personal items since students can't keep things in their desks?
4) How do you do split a job chart? Or do you have 2 seperate ones?
5) How do you share a center management chart?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I am completely lost! Thank you in advance!

teacherlady86 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrs.lsprague

Old 07-10-2010, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I taught 2 half days last year and luckily had my own room. One thing that helped the two classes and me is to use different colors for each class. For example, all my student's name tags were green in the morning and blue in the afternoon - both taped to the table. My containers for sticks with their names on them were color coded, behavior cards, everything!
For behavior stuff I printed off a card for each of my students that had their name and picture on it, again morning was green and afternoon blue. Each class had a pocket chart where their cards "slept" and then when they came to school they moved it to the behavior pocket chart and at the end of the day back to their class pocket chart. This helped me to see who was absent from school as well. I will post a picture of the behavior chart for reference.

For storing personal items my students had cubbies where they could keep that kind of stuff. We used community supplies so they didn't have to worry about that kind of stuff. Any other folders I would keep in a basket for them.

I never had jobs in my class, last year was my first year and I forgot about jobs at the beginning and it ended out working for the best not to have them. We all just took turns.

For centers I just had animals to represent the groups and then a list of who was in each group for each class.

p.s. I guess the picture I have of the behavior chart is from the very beginning of the year before rules and such were posted around it. Every day the cards would start in the green and then rotate clockwise to yellow, red, then blue. It worked pretty well.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
mrs.lsprague is offline   Reply With Quote

SueHue

Old 07-11-2010, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach 1/2 in a very similar way as you do! It can take time, which is annoying, to switch from AM to PM class, but you get used to it.

When you say nametags for sharing a spot, do you mean desk seats? Carpet seats? Cubbies? Just wondering. We don't assign seats at the tables, we have table groups. I write the names of the students on different colored paper (one color per table group). My partner teacher does the same. We change the groups as needed or once a grading period. The students read the names, first and last, to me while I hold the paper and I tell them which table they will use for the activity. On the carpet, we label their seats only on the first week of school (or when we move everyone, once a grading period) using labels from Staples. The AM class has fun at the end of the day taking them off the carpet squares and the PM teacher places new ones on the carpet while the students have free play. For the cubbies, we use 2 different clip arts (ex: dolphins for one class and whales for the other).

We have 2 different behavior charts - one for each class. We hung them on the wall using 3M hooks w/ command adhesive. One just sits on top of the other.

All their personal items are kept on a bookcase. We have community supplies including pencils, crayons, glue, and scissors in bins. Their personal items, such as workbooks (they have 3 each), journals, etc are also on the bookcase. I don't have them stand up (vertically), but I stack them horizontally in a pile. It's faster when we put them away, and then they don't fall over. I used to have boxes w/ the workbooks - one for each table group. Now that we have 3 workbooks, and 2 look identical by cover, the piles just work easier for me.

I had a job chart my first year, which I liked, but I have now moved on to have a Star Student Helper of the Day. That person does everything for me for that day - Line leader, takes sickly students to the office, leads the calendar, checks for to see if we've cleaned up/closed glues for the day, etc. My partner has a helper for the whole week. By our telephone and phone extension list, we each have 1/2 of a grade book page taped to the wall. We write the date the student helps in the squares where you usually put the grade. I just go alphabetically down the list (at the top where you'd usually write the "assignment/test" I write round 1, 2, 3, etc.) If we have a subsitute, it's on the wall for the sub or for one of us to find out who's helping for the day.

In the beginning of the year when we are doing centers, we keep the activities in tubs labeled with the table number on our bookcase. When it's time for centers, the non-teaching partner sets up the tables. The students move from day to day to different activities as we dictate, but the activities for each table stays the same for the whole week (Table 3 is always assigned the messiest tasks, playdough or painting, because it's closest to the sink and not on carpet!). We use the student table group lists that I described above to figure out who goes to which table. We always start in rainbow order on Mondays: red group goes to table 1, orange to table 2, yellow to table 3, green to table 4. To help us and substitutes know who goes where each day, we label the bottom of the group's paper. The orange group's paper would say: M-2, T-3, W-4, TH-1. I like to laminate the group lists. Students handle them, especially if they need help writing their names on their papers, and this way they don't mess with them. I just write the names with a sharpie on construction paper. My groups are heterogeneous. Myself and the other teacher each work with one table, usually table 2 and 4, so we can watch the table to our left at the same time.

Most of the year, we have "workshop" instead of centers where students get "Must Do's" and then "May Do's". I used to hate workshop, but now I love it. I use this time time to meet with students to focus on skills they need. My partner watches the whole class for me while they do their must do/may do. Must do's are some sort of seat work. May do's are usually fun stuff, like writing sight words using stamps, phonics puzzles, using fishing poles to collect rhyming magnets, etc. A pocket chart lists the "May Do's" (I took photos of everything), and students place their names next to the photos in the pocket chart when they choose their activity. The activities are spread about the room or can be taken back to their table seats. We share the same pocket chart for workshop. Whatever activities I have chosen for the week, the PM teacher will do the same ones. We have a shoe box with clip art w/ students' names on it, the same as their cubbies (AM class is dolphins, PM is whales).

I hope this helps!!! Good luck!
SueHue is offline   Reply With Quote

BeeHappy

1/2 Day Kinder Help!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Last year was my first year. I started the year with 30 kinders in my am class and after 3 weeks when the district numbers settled I ended up with am/pm. I teach integrated in the am with a max of 20 kids - up to 5 on IEP's and 15 'typical peers'. My am class comes with a fab para! PM is 'gen ed' - and goes up to 25 kiddos...no para - except that we are a Title 1 school and we receive excellent para support during literacy block for reading groups. We can talk about those types of things too if you want. Some of my other posts include that info.

Your questions/my responses:
1) How to you do nametags with two sets of students sharing a spot?

- Last year I saw a teacher had used velcro spots and laminated name tags on top of the tables. Tried it, didn't like it: She had round tables, I had rectangular: The name tags took up space when kids were writing [bumpy] and playing games. Towards the end of the year I ended up leaving them off. I would put them up when I changed groups and the next day the kids could all remember where they sat! ; )
- This year I have a plan to use BEE Folders - [Bring Everything Everyday Folders] this can be found on this link: http://www.proteacher.net/discussion....php?t=2669732)

- As a result of these folders I will not use table name tags this year. I have chair pockets. I will use name tags on the chair pockets - green masking tape for am, blue masking tape for pm with Avery/Staples labels for names. Masking tape holds, but peels right off without residue. Chairs are moveable. The ONLY thing that will go in the chair pockets is the BEE Folder and their completed work for the day. At the end of the day there will be a 5 minute 'check out' time where they fill in their BEE-havior chart, stuff their take home papers into the left side of a folder [labeled] and get my initials on their BEE-havior calendar. They can then go to their cubby to put their BEE folde in their backpack and wait on the carpet sitting down in line. This prevents milling around at the end of the day.

2)How do you share a behavior management chart? Or do you have two seperate ones?

I am going to use the BEE-havior poster from Really Good Stuff. Magnetized bees with names. I'll need 2 sets, but oh-well. I will color code them somehow. I am implementing Whole Brain Teaching's practice cards idea. Also using the BEE folders for kids to record their own behavior and I initial it every day. Kids will receive gesture warnings - holding 1 finger up with my 'skunk eye' look will indicate 1 warning, say when we are at the carpet. 2nd offense and I make eye contact, move their bee to the yellow hive indicating they need to move to their table spot for 2 minutes. I keep teaching. 3rd offense, they get a 'practice card' meaning they have 2 min of practice time at recess. I go out with them while they practice for the 2 min. outside. This is noted by student on the BEE-havior calendar in BEE folder so parents can see. 4th warning is a call home and or note and a full recess of practice. I try not to send kids to principal or out of room. I use Positive Discipline and try to 'catch kids being good'. We have class meetings to discuss various social skills and ideas to help students who are struggling in a non-personal way. I feel sending them out of the room sets up 'exclusion' and results in damage that continues as they go through school. Hope tha thelps.

3) How do you store notebooks/folders/personal items since students can't keep things in their desks?

Like the other teachers below, I color code and happen to have chosen green for am, blue for pm as well. Popular color choices at the big stores! I got magazine storage boxes. Above my tables I have color coded "meadow bees" [green] - "stream bees" - [blue] - "garden bees" - yellow, and "orchard bees" - red. I labeled green magazine boxes with these labels. All journals, notebooks, etc. get grouped into these boxes. E.G. Our journasl have a yellow cover. They all stay in one group in this box next to the science journals, followed by the math journals, etc. When it is science journal time I/or helper student can quickly grab the table group's journals and set them in the center of the table. Kids get them quickly without everyone having to get up and go to their cubby. Saves on transitions BIG time! When they are done, they put them NEATLY in the center and can easily get put away.

4) How do you do split a job chart? Or do you have 2 seperate ones?

Rather than repeat everything, please check my recent post on this link: http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=267467

5) How do you share a center management chart?

I need to work on this idea this year. Last year I created a grid that I used as reading group coordinator and shared with the Title paras, my am para but it was not visible to the kids. This year, implementing Whole Brain Teaching combined with ENVoY management [my take on reading both programs] - I see the need for more visual information for the kids to know what to do. ENVoY calls it the "exit instructions". I am brainstorming ideas for this chart and see that I might be able to combine it with attendance somehow...a pocket chart with pictures. I do modified Daily 5 with Reading Street - another post/group if you are interested. So this is a goal that I am still mulling over. I'll let you know.

Now - that said, my biggest issue last year is still a problem in my head: LINE ORDER issues due to transiency and absences....goes with the territory of half day in a Title 1 school, I'm afraid. I am going to post that as a new question. Maybe we should form a 1/2 Day kinder group...

Hope this helps! Thanks to the other teachers who posted replies as well!

Last edited by BeeHappy; 07-27-2010 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: missed one of the answers to your question ; )
BeeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote