Help

Kindergarten

"I'm Done!!!"

>

jello12

"I'm Done!!!"
Old 07-11-2010, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you do when students hurriedly finish their workstations after only 5-10 minutes into the session? I try to give them two activities, but some finish quickly so they can have free choice...sometimes sacrificing the quality of their work. Any ideas??

jello12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Schooltime

Old 07-11-2010, 10:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I usually have them pick a book from the library and read quietly until I'm ready for them to do the next task.
Schooltime is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

dmastand

Suspended

Old 07-12-2010, 01:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If students finish early and their work is of good quality they are taught to get out their sight word ring (all of the sight words we have learned on a ring), look at their Kindergarten office, read a book that is at their table, or get their individual book box and read from there. Sometimes I will let them take out their notebook and free write/draw. My class last year loved to write and would often ask if they could get writing paper to write a story.
dmastand is offline   Reply With Quote

Bridiecakes

writing
Old 07-12-2010, 02:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This year I was thinking of having journals that the kids would write in if they finish early. It seems like a lot of my kids that finish early are pretty good writers, but would benefit from having more time to practice. In the past I have just allowed them to read quietly. Most like to do this as well. =)
Bridiecakes is offline   Reply With Quote

jello12

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2010, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Love the ideas! I like the book boxes and journals/writing. I guess it's all about how you train them

jello12 is offline   Reply With Quote

pianowoman41

I use the Daily 5 Rotation with my literacy
Old 07-12-2010, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

work stations. They do a "must do" activity where a response is required during the first rotation. They are aware they do not have choice centers until the second rotation, so most students work the whole time until the bell rings for check-in. Then they can choose the next station to work in for the the second rotation. I like teaching them to practice the whole time during the daily 5 introduction weeks (it takes about two weeks to get centers going). Having a must do center until time to switch to the next rotation really helps those who want to be finished quickly. The quality of work is better if they have the promise of a choice center the second time around. This is what works for me.
pianowoman41 is offline   Reply With Quote