Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

PBIS in Special needs pre-k

>

ece123

PBIS in Special needs pre-k
Old 07-23-2010, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just wondering if anyone has had their school implement a PBIS (Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports) program? We are to start in September, and while I'm totally on board with the kids getting positive reinforcement (as I already do now with them), we have to use the ticket system that the entire school will be using. I'm worried that the tickets won't be motivating to any of them, since most of my students require immediate gratification for good behavior.... I suppose the ticket could be an immediate trade in, but that can often be difficult if we're in the middle of an activity. Does anyone have ideas about the logistics behind this program in pre-k? Especially with this ticket system?

ece123 is offline   Reply With Quote

ErinAGS04

Old 07-24-2010, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We are a PBS school, but pre-k opted out of the token system. It just didn't work for us. I hope you find a way to make it work. We use sticker books to reinforce positive behavior.

Good behavior -> sticker -> THey put the sticker in their book -> when they get 10 stickers (or 5 for some) they trade it in for a treasure

It works for us!
ErinAGS04 is offline   Reply With Quote

ece123

Old 07-24-2010, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yea, I really wish this was an option for us. Unfortunately, they have made it clear that EVERYONE must use the ticket system. This happens often in my district, where we decide to start something new, and no one ever thinks about how it will work for the "little guys"...so we go through the stress of trying to make it work for a few months, then they finally tell us, "oh, just forget it.". Since I must use the tickets, I'm thinking about just attaching a sticker to the back of each ticket...? They can have the sticker and then the ticket can go in a pocket chart of something to do an "add up and buy" type of system....then in a few months when we're all really grasping "getting tickets is a good thing", I can pull back on the stickers or switch it up. I'm still not sure...I've got 5 more weeks to make it come together

prek3zteach

Good luck
Old 07-24-2010, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

on your ticket endeavor. It is hard for the little ones to grasp the whole thing since they are preschoolers and usually want instant gratification. Placing a stickeron the back of the ticket may be a good thing for you. Hope it works
prek3zteach is offline   Reply With Quote

ErinAGS04

Old 07-24-2010, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

How big are the tickets? Could you buy one of the sheet protectors meant for baseball cards for each child. Put one sticker in each pocket. When they get their ticket, they put it in a slot (teaching one to one correspondence) and take the sticker from that spot. They trade Then when they fill up the whole page with tickets, they can trade in for a special "treasure"? It sounds more complicated than I think it would be. I think the kids would pick up on it pretty quickly and need minimal direction within a few weeks. Just a thought...

ErinAGS04 is offline   Reply With Quote

cnmaybe

Old 07-24-2010, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I second prek3zteach's idea. Put a sticker or a star on the back of the ticket so it is more attractive to them. Good luck!
cnmaybe is offline   Reply With Quote

ece123

Old 07-26-2010, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Erin- I like that idea! I think you're right, after a few weeks, they would probably be able to be independent with it...and it solves the immediate problem as well as the "build-up to something great" issue. Plus, just think of the fine motor being worked trying to get those stickers out haha.

IDEA

Old 07-27-2010, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You are their teacher, most (if not all!!) will love you and adore you! You make sure they know the tickets are the most special thing in the whole wide world!! (even if you think its a dumb district rule!) My first year of teaching, we were learning about insects so we set up a bee colony...bees were grouped and each had special jobs. I was worried b/c I wasn't sure how it would work...kids cleaning tables, sweeping floors, watching "larva", look out bees...I thought how boring would that be and how long would 2 students stand at the door looking into the hall acting like "look out bees". But when we approached all the jobs were great and grand and how cool it was to be a special look out bee, (or whatever their job was) it turned out great! Your attitude will set the tone.

Having said all that, I like the baseball card pocketchart. You can do a variety of things like that to make a visual and make it meaningful to them.
IDEA is offline   Reply With Quote

adayin4k

pbis
Old 07-29-2010, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I really appreciate the discussion on pbis. Our school is going to begin implementation this school year. I am most worried about handing out tokens and rewards for what seems like everything. Your ideas help me to remember that I'm not alone in this and how important attitude is I will share your ideas with my fellow prek and kindergarten teachers!
adayin4k is offline   Reply With Quote

ateacch

Old 08-01-2010, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our school sent staff to PBIS training this spring. We haven't heard yet what the impact will be. Makes me nervous after hearing about this. Sounded to me like they were going to use PBIS for K and up. For 4k we will look at incorporating ideas from CSEFEL.
http://www.vanderbilt.edu/csefel/res...trategies.html

ateacch is offline   Reply With Quote

vjmustang2010

Pbis
Old 08-01-2010, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I student taught at a PBIS school and we had what they called a RULE ruler. Each letter stood for a value hey were working on with the students. R-Ready to Learn, U-Use my manners, L-Learn for now and later, E-Every place and time counts. The school decided to the create a "ruler" store. Same concept as a school store but instead of using money, the kids would use their rulers. This made them really excited and even the Pre-K program used it. I even had kids putting rulers together to buy things for their friends. We also had classroom incentives. You could trade in 20 rulers to wear your slippers in ILA, 25 to sit next to a friend at lunch, and so on... This really works, especially when the kids help you pick the prizes!
vjmustang2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

rowell

Old 08-28-2010, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We are also a school that use the PBIS system. I teach pre-k and we have to use the PBIS system just like everyone else. What we did was take a color file folder and laminated it. After laminating it, we put 25 pieces of velcro on the inside of the folder. The name of our folders were Super Student Tickets. We also laminated enough tickets for each students to be able to fill there folder. This helps with not having to make copies of the tickets. We taught the students how to lay the tickets on the table in their spot until we told them to put the tickets up. Then when told to put tickets up, they would take their folders out of their seat sack and put ticket on it. When the folder got full, they would get a small prize. Last year this prize came from the principal but this year, I think i will be responsible for the prize. They have changed how we turn in the tickets and I am still learning the new way. The folder thing really worked and they got so excited when they filled the folder up. I had a bear on the wall that was divided into four sections(each nine weeks) and it had 20 pieces of velcro on each section. When a students folder got filled up, we took the tickets off and put them back into the basket and they got to put a fish on the bear. When the class would fill up one section of the bear (usually took 9 wks), the class would get an reward. This reward could be side walk chalk, bubbles, ice cream, pizza party We had four prizes and they would get bigger for each nine weeks.
rowell is offline   Reply With Quote