Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

classroom jobs

>

kiwilemon

classroom jobs
Old 07-29-2010, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What class jobs do you use in preschool?

kiwilemon is offline   Reply With Quote

ckcramer

I don't
Old 07-29-2010, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I quit doing all the cute classroom helpers. I felt it was a time waster when I didn't seem to have enough time to get everything else done. Instead, I do a daily teacher's helper. I pick student names alphabetically, so it becomes predictable. It's so much easier to remember one name to call on when you need something rather than scanning the helper chart trying to figure out who needs to be responsible for each little thing.
ckcramer is offline   Reply With Quote

kiwilemon

Old 07-29-2010, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

last year I did a teachers helper, but since I use responsive classroom, I think that doing a few simple jobs will help build my classroom community.
kiwilemon is offline   Reply With Quote

prek4s

Old 07-29-2010, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do:

Line Leader
Door Holder
Prayer Leader (at snack time they can pick if they want to pray alone or as a group)
Flag Holder
Book Worm (their favorite job -- they get to pick 1-2 books we read at circle time)
Light Keeper (turn lights off when we leave and on when we come back)

I put each job on a card with everyone's name. We go down the list; so if Andy was line leader yesterday Bella would be line leader today). If they don't want a job that day or they are hoping to get another job they can always say "No Thank You" and it goes to the next person on the list. The children catch on fast and able to figure out who is next. Often during center time I see them over near the charts, one will be standing and a few on the floor and they will say, "Bella, would you like to be book worm today?"

(I have a file of this but I have not been able to attach things -- I think because I'm a new member. If you are interested in seeing the helper charts let me know and I can e-mail it).

Other jobs I have had in the past are...

Floor Checker (make sure the floors are clean at the end of the day - they could also do the sweeping during clean up)
Snack Helper (help pass out things at snack time)
Weather Helper
Water the Plants or Gardener

I cut some out because we have 12 children. If I did all of these jobs it would leave 2 people out so I just cut it down to 6 and explain to the children how we do it and that everyone gets a turn.
prek4s is offline   Reply With Quote

danalea10

Old 07-29-2010, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have one teacher's helper. They are the line leader and the helper of the day. They can also pick other children if they need help.

danalea10 is offline   Reply With Quote

punchinello

Old 07-29-2010, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I, too, am a one helper per day believer. It's so much easier to assign all the jobs to one child each day. They get a kick out of figuring out who comes next and by the end of the year, they have the order memorized. I also go alphabetically by last name and display the name on a star each morning on the board and have them wear a star sticker that day. They were so funny last year, counting the days until it was their turn...This year, I'm also going to start "Ask the Special Helper", where the kids go to the helper with a question before they come to me (if I'm working with small group).
punchinello is offline   Reply With Quote

ckcramer

Like!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I like your idea of having the helper wear a sticker. I have a helper poster where the helper's name will be posted, but now I'm thinking of making a necklace of some sort for the helper of the day to wear - even easier to remember who the helper is and a good visual for the rest of the class, too. Awesome!
ckcramer is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher24

Old 07-29-2010, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I LOVE the idea of one helper a day...when I was teaching K, I had several helpers a day, and it was a hastle for me to rearrange the job chart for the next day...thanks for all this goodness.

For centers in K, I would choose 3 star helpers a day...those star helpers wore star necklaces, and helped clean up the center materials.
teacher24 is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

Old 07-29-2010, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I did one helper "leader" last year and loved it. I am going to make one small change this year. Who ever was leader yesterday, will be door holder today. So, I guess there will be two jobs.
learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Before moving to Pre-K
Old 07-29-2010, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I observed a veteran pre-K teacher, and the one thing that BOGGLED MY MIND was her job chart. She had 16 students, and every single child had a job every day. AND she changed it every day!

She spent a HUGE amount of time during her day just trying to figure out who was supposed to be doing which job.

So I took a different approach. I have two helpers each day. And they do EVERYTHING - -calendar, weather, leader/caboose, messengers, snack, etc.

Ah, what a relief it is not to EVER have to look at a job chart. I just say, "Who are my helpers?" and they come to me for whatever their job is.

Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

fingrptlvr

Daily Job Chart
Old 07-31-2010, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I add jobs as the year progresses and change daily. Check out 'Environments' site at eichild dot com for job ideas and signs. Click the 'Environments Resources' button, then click on 'Just for Me Label Maker.' It will take you to all kinds of great stuff! You'll need to register, but it's all free.

I have a pocket chart in the shape of overalls which holds 15 job picture labels. I use several of the "Off Duty" pics which has a picture of a child sitting back with hands behind his head. I have mostly 'off duty' in the pockets at the beginning of the year and replace with jobs as kids are ready for them. (Some jobs I make my own pic for...Sticker Helper, Bell Ringer, Buddy Helper (holds our stuffed dog, Buddy, during Group Time) Hand Holder (child can hold either my hand or my assistant's hand when we walk in line)

I have each child's name and picture cue (also eichild) printed on cardstock ... probably 1.5" x 3' . Each child's name is 'clothespinned' to a pocket with a job on the chart. I rotate each child's name in a clockwise direction each morning before they arrive. I don't have to think about it at all! (One of the jobs is 'Teacher Helper' who will do the job (s) of anyone who is absent.) Children love to look on the chart each morning to see what they are responsible for. They learn to recognize their name and their classmate’s names, and to figure out what job they will have tomorrow or in a few days. So simple!
fingrptlvr is offline   Reply With Quote

ateacch

Old 08-01-2010, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I only have 1 job - leader. After 13 years of having jobs for everyone and then switching for AM/PM classes, I finally decided to simplify. It was getting too confusing to keep up with when you have 18 students in each class.

I love the idea of "Ask the Helper." Excellent! Thanks
ateacch is offline   Reply With Quote