Help

Fifth Grade

Teaching the Great Artists

>

Kteach2

Teaching the Great Artists
Old 08-26-2010, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We have a wonderful program called "Art Attack". We are going to be learning about the various artists and then do an art project to follow up. We are learning about Matisse tomorrow. They will be writing about him next week to go with their artwork. I'm hoping this works. Do any of you study the artists? If so, what do you do?

Kteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

dav5fam

Me too
Old 08-27-2010, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This will be our third year of using Arts Attack for art instruction. I found that my students really had no connection with the art of the different styles presented in the lessons.

Now, I realize that I am not using the information about the artists to teach the art lessons. I think this component of the arts lessons will really add to the finished projects. I also thought about it. . . the lessons in the 6th grade deal with places we study in Social Studies. I will give it one more try this year.

Keep me posted on your ideas, and I will do the same.
dav5fam is offline   Reply With Quote

Kteach2

Matisse
Old 08-27-2010, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Today we studied Matisse and it went really well. We studied his life in chronological order, looked at copies of his art, watched the DVD and then did the art project. Yes, it was a bit chaotic with 33 5th graders, but they did an awesome job. Each one of them is unique
and beautiful. I can't wait to put them on display. Next week, we are going to write about him.

dav5fam

Thank you
Old 08-27-2010, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is a confirmation that I should make sure that the students have a "connection" to the art to make the final products come out spectacular.
dav5fam is offline   Reply With Quote

vespergirl

This is kind of sidebar
Old 08-28-2010, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

but I always love to read this book in connection with Art Masterpiece and other art-related activities.

It's a picture book called No One Saw. It is all how no one saw things the way certain artists did. Like, no one saw emotions the way Munsch did, or how no one saw sunflowers like Van Gogh, etc. It's a simple little book but beautiful, and it is a perfect intro to such activites. It's also just pure fun to read and talk about how we all have our own view of the world, and how art, dance, words, music, poetry, etc can be different ways of expressing that vision.

vespergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Kteach2

Old 08-28-2010, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I will have to check out the book, thanks!

notartteacher

I miss this...
Old 08-29-2010, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I was an art teacher in elementary for two years, but it was only a teacher assistant job so when I got my teaching certificate I went to the classroom. I miss giving the students an opportunity to learn about the artists. There are so many great picture books to use. Katie's Sunday Afternoon, Seen Art?, Degas and the Little Dancer (?) just serach on Amazon to find suggestions. I am thinking of doing an artist study in my reading group this year. Last year we read about Vermeer, Da Vinci and O'Keefe, Good luck with your project!
notartteacher is offline   Reply With Quote