Help

Fifth Grade

Open House Idea

>

Jip

Open House Idea
Old 08-27-2010, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help! I'm looking for a student made project to have on their desk for Open House--like a writing idea or art project????

Jip is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

a few
Old 08-28-2010, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Some suggestions:

*Can they write an "I Am..." poem or a "Top Ten Things You Need to Know about Me" list? These are very telling and cute. I usually have something like this up on my bulletin board on our Curriculum Night. The parents enjoy reading them.

*The following idea, with a slight modification from me, came from The Cornerstone by Angela Powell. (Check out her website for more info on Open House ideas.)

On a piece of lined paper with the heading "What it's Like to Be a 5th Grader (or "What it's Like to be a 10(11)-year-old", have students write a paragraph or two on this topic. Tape this page on one side of a large piece of construction paper. I think the size should be around 12 x 18. On the other side tape another sheet of lined paper. This paper should be headed, "What it's Like to be the Parent of a 5th Grader" or "What it's Like to be the Parent of a 10-year-old." At Open House, the parent could take a few minutes to write their thoughts on the topic. The kids would get a kick out of reading these the next day.

*"About Me" paragraphs. The students write one paragraph that describes what he/she looks like and another paragraph about what he/she is like (characteristics) as a person. They draw a picture to go along with the paragraphs.
trexteach is offline   Reply With Quote

chicks26

Old 10-26-2010, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Defining our Class BB. Make it look like a dictionary entry, and each student "defines" themself.
chicks26 is offline   Reply With Quote