Fifth Grade

reading help!!!

>

teachercr

teachercr

reading help!!!
Old 08-28-2010, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering if anyone could help me... I have a 5th grade special education reading class with extreme differences in the levels of students. I have 75 minutes to teach spelling, vocab, phonics, reading, language arts, grammar, and writing, etc. One child is very dyslexic, and 1 child (whose parents pushed for the regular state testing, opposed to the alternate test) reads at a first grade level. I know as a teacher I am expected to differentiate my teaching, but I feel lost with where to begin. Our school does not have a "reading program" so I usually just pull my own material/ or create my own which consumes a lot of my planning time.
In this particular group some of the parents are very demanding and rather quick to complain about the lack of progress they see at home. Any thoughts on ideas???? I will have about 10 students in this pull out class. THANK YOU!

ColoradoTeach

reading
Old 08-28-2010, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That sounds like a tough class!! With 75 minutes I would do a mini lesson with the whole class and then divide them up into three groups and have them rotate. I would have one group with me doing a novel study or reading a leveled reader (you can get them at reading a to z dot com), one group doing word work (words their way is a great program for different levels) and the third group doing reader's workshop, reading independently with maybe a journal response. I know lots of people on the board use daily 5 and CAFE and those sound like great ideas also.
ColoradoTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

jennybea2

An idea
Old 08-29-2010, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My daughter is a low reader and autistic -- when she was in 6th grade and her teacher was doing small group rotations she really couldn't even do the work the rest of the low readers were doing so her teacher set up a couple of notebooks for her. She had a spelling notebook that had a piece of laminate card stock stapled to the front with her daily instructions. Something like Monday - copy words down five times, draw a picture that goes with each word; Tuesday - write each word in a sentence; something for each day and Friday was always "Have your partner give you a spelling test." Then at the bottom of the page were 5 lines for her weekly spelling words. Her teacher would write them in weekly with a Vis a Vis. She had a notebook like that for Social Studies and for Reading -- it was always something that had to do with 6th grade instruction but on a lower level for her.

I've used notebooks like this for my kids that get pulled out for reading special ed and then drop back in for that last 20 minutes of my class. I want them to participate in our class reading but I'm usually at a small group when they comeback. This gives them a routine so for the days they don't get pulled (testing, testing, testing) they know what's going on and what we are reading about.

I don't really have any kind of template to use because I make it different for each kid.

Hope this helps.
jennybea2 is offline   Reply With Quote