Help

Fifth Grade

What do you say....

>

3boys:)

What do you say....
Old 08-31-2010, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

to a 5th grade child who, after 5 1/2 days of schools says "Did my dad come see you last Friday? The only reason I ask is, he wants to move me out of this class." First of all, she doesn't live with dad, he is not even on the contact list, don't know if she EVER sees him. I'm pretty sure she was trying to get my goat when she said it. I just told her, "oh, OK, that's fine with m." The girl came into registration with a frown on her face and immediately was ticked because she had so-and-so in her class. She rarely smiles and last week (the 2nd day of school) she was writing a story about a BOY who hates school. She made sure to let me know what it was about! Ugh!! This is my first year in 5th grade and so much want to like the kids, but this little grump is making it very hard!!!

3boys:) is offline   Reply With Quote

poodles

Old 08-31-2010, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would definitely have some conversation with her. Start it off with I've noticed.... Ask her if there is something she wants to talk about or if she is upset about anything.
poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
MrsDriver

MrsDriver

I agree...
Old 08-31-2010, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

with pp. If she doesn't want to talk to you get the counselor involved. I would also let her mom know what is going on. They could be having a custody issue or something.

That being said, if she continues the behavior you need to make it very clear to her that it will not be tolerated. She is going to have to learn to be around people she doesn't like. Unless she runs her own business when she is grown she will be working with people she doesn't like.

Most 5th graders are good kids. They want to be independent but they still want you to pat them on the heads and be "mommy".

I had a little boy last year who was a grump when school first started and he changed that after about 3 weeks because I would not give him the attention he was seeking. He wanted to be in a class with his buddy but mom didn't want that because his buddy was a bad influence.

MegO

Old 09-01-2010, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Try to recognize ANY small thing you see her doing right and praise her in front of the other students. I know it'll probably be hard to find something positive when she is behaving the way she is, but try to find something. Once she is getting attention for doing something good enough times, she will like that kind of attention more and hopefully it breaks her of her bad habits.
MegO is offline   Reply With Quote