Help

Fifth Grade

Out of ideas

>

fifthgraderrs

Out of ideas
Old 09-02-2010, 02:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been teaching several years and have never had class control problems. I don't yell or scream, just clearly state my expectations and the students usually behave appropriately. I have moved to a new state and my class this year is very challenging. I have 3 boys in particular that could care less about learning. They have made it their mission to disrupt every lesson I attempt. They don't care about any lesson or consequence. Any ideas?

fifthgraderrs is offline   Reply With Quote

6LASS

A couple
Old 09-02-2010, 02:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a class full of boys too and I see some of that coming out already! I am making those boys my right hand boys. Anything heavy that needs to be moved or taken somewhere, I am sending them. When I see them getting antsy, I send them to take a "message" somewhere.

Constant, constant positive reinforcement is also a must, even its for heading their paper correctly. While it may not be the healthiest, candy rewards work too! Good luck, these are the students that make us better teachers!
6LASS is offline   Reply With Quote

WriteTeach

Leaders
Old 09-02-2010, 03:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with the PP about keeping these boys occupied at all times. In my experience, these are usually the kiddos who turn out to be the 'popular' kids or the leaders that the others then want to follow. I've had some success with just pulling the rough ones aside and being really up front with them that I need their example to be a good one. It usually makes them feel important (which they are!) and kind of gives them a sense that they have a choice for their place in the classroom community.

Last edited by WriteTeach; 09-02-2010 at 03:32 AM.. Reason: changed wording
WriteTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

one more idea
Old 09-02-2010, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The two previous posts gave good advice, especially that the students be taken aside and talking about them being potential leaders.

I would add one more idea: have them keep a DETAILED journal of what they are doing in class - every word they say aloud to anyone - plus what work is assigned and whether they complete it or not. Very, very detailed. This alone slows them down, though some will refuse to do it. In that case, write it yourself.

Then sit down with the parents and let them read their children's own words. You can take it from there. It was my last stand with several students - and not always boys - and only a couple of times did it ever get to the parent scenario.
ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

Alf Abett

Positive Reinforcement
Old 09-04-2010, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I got this idea from PT (Thanks!!!). I made a classroom Bingo board. The students place their name in a space every day that they've had a good day. On Friday, I draw numbers and the student in that space wins a prize. I've found things at the Dollar Store, WalMart, books bought with bonus points, school supplies, etc. So far, the students are enjoying it. They look forward to it, in fact. It is working for a majority of my class. Some students get their name on the board more than others, but even those that only get their name on the board once or twice in the week anxiously await for the drawing. Maybe it will work for you??? Hope this helps!

Alf Abett is offline   Reply With Quote