Help

Kindergarten

"Highly Visible" Standards

>

GAgardener

"Highly Visible" Standards
Old 09-10-2010, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you make your state standards, essential questions, and vocabulary "highly visible"? Here in GA the standards can be lengthy, yet we are expected to have them posted visibly for students to see...but I'm struggling with this. Help??

GAgardener is offline   Reply With Quote

tchr45th

I wonder
Old 09-10-2010, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do the countries that score highest in math and science have their standards written out on the board/wall? Ayy international teachers want to weigh in on this topic? Maybe I am way off base, but I think the teaching objective is most critical and provides a focus for the students and teacher. The standard is impt to the teacher, prob not too many kids go home and say, " I learned this state standard" today mom.
tchr45th is offline   Reply With Quote

msteacha1

Great point tchr45th
Old 09-10-2010, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

GAgardener, I am also expected to post the standards for every single lesson. Which to me doesn't make much sense because not only is it time consuming to post them, but we are told what to teach...I could understand if we were able to create our own lessons based on the standards and the purpose was to be sure we are teaching to them, but we have to follow the curriculum framework which tells us day by day what to do and teach down to the exact page we should be on...but then again I almost forgot we have nothing else to do with our time but teach, so why not waste time writing out things that are already printed in the curriculum that we must teach and follow with "fidelity" and then written again in the lesson plans we have to copy from the curriculum
msteacha1 is offline   Reply With Quote

BeeHappy

Sentence Strips -Content + Language Objective
Old 09-10-2010, 10:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have been focusing on Marzano's Highly Effective Teaching Strategies, one of which is makign the objective clear to the students, another is connecting it to their lives. Frankly, I see his point in doing these.

I taped off/used bulletin board border a small section of my white board. I created some laminated/magnetized labels for my white board with three questions: What? [are we learning] Why? [are we learning it] How? [will we show we know it]

I post these questions and put my objectives in kid friendly language. Many of you have probably heard of SWBAT [student will be able to]. Pt'ers have talked about "I can..." statements. Many of our standards/performance expectations are lengthy and worded for the student to be able to master these goals by the end of the year. Thus throughout the year we need to create 'benchmarks' or 'objectives' under the main goals that are actually attainable. For example, counting accurately out of a set of 20 is an end of the year goal. Counting from 1:5 out of a set of 20 will be my 1st objective under this goal. So it might look like this:

What? Using 1:1 correspondance, I can count from 1:5 objects out of a set of 20 accurately.
Why? Because counting is important in my daily life.
How? I will count 5 objects out of a set of 20 and stop using 1:1 correspondance.

We are also now SIOP trained and they are asking us to include language objectives along with each content objective. These are mainly for our English Language learners, but are effective for all. We are just beginning to use Kagan Structures in our district as they are recommended through SIOP. Fortunately I have invetsigated these this summer through PT, joining a great group and was able to share some resources as a result. I'm really enjoying teaching these structures this year.

Our district does not demand that we do what I outlined above. They say 'stating' the objective and having the kids repeat it is fine. They also say stating the objective in the form of a question is fine, like in science and math for example.

Hope this helps!

Bee Happy
BeeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

msteacha1

I see the point in that too...
Old 09-10-2010, 10:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I actually enjoy that and feel that students should know and understand what they are learning lol but the state standards are really the focus of what we were talking about. So for me, not only must I state the objective but I most also post the state standard. The OP is saying that she has to display the state standard, essential question, and vocabulary. For me, the problem I have is that a lesson very rarely covers one state standard and on top of that what I teach is dictated to me along with the standards which could range anywhere between 4-8 for just one lesson... I just wish instead of printing it in the book they would print them on sentence strips for us, at least then we only have to spend spend time putting them up and taking them down

msteacha1 is offline   Reply With Quote

whitsmom

Old 09-11-2010, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use these standards to post in my room - they are in kid friendly terms and kind of combine the standard and essential question - my principal is ok with this.... which makes my life a lot easier!
whitsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

BeeHappy

Ugh! Too much work...but can you team up???
Old 09-11-2010, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Can you work with your team to create laminated sentence strips for years to come? Get'er done as you go through the year one time and hopefully the state standards won't keep changing?

Could your district work together and plan for each team to create certain ones [jig-saw it] , then send them to a printer, get them laminated, and send them all to you?

Just some thoughts so you don't ALL have to reinvent the wheel. Hate that tedious timewasting silly reinventing thing... Work smarter, not harder.

Bee Happy
BeeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

kinde1

Posting standards
Old 09-11-2010, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I just took level 3 of Quantum learning. She had an objective to teach us how to juggle. She did not mention that her objective was..and for good reason. In the Brain research , many of us would have said right away...I cant do that. She took it step by step and had us only do simple things and then the juggling happened for everyone. The brain does tell us "no I cant" and that can stop learning. I found this very interesting. Quantum learning is based on brain research.
kinde1 is offline   Reply With Quote