Help

ESL/LEP

bPAC

>

MissESL

bPAC
Old 10-28-2010, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Under the terms of our grant we need to form a BILINGUAL PARENT ADVISORY COMMITTEE.
According to them, we must have four meetings a year. One is grant review, two are assortedtopics, and one is TRAINING.

Does anybody know what they intend to be in place for training?
Anyone made something up to fit the rerquirements?
Any ideas? I inherited this as a thing that has NEVER been run successfully in our district. We never make it through the year. NEver have more than one halfa**ed meeting. I want to make it a success. I think parent involvement is important -- but also a ton harder for non English speakers.

Any help appreciated!!!!!

MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Wow!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Don't the grant documents give any more information than that??!!

I'd be tempted to do a math night (check out Family Math, they have a materials in Spanish). But am wondering what the purpose of the ADVISORY committee is. If they are to give advise, you might want to organize some training on how to do that effectively. Maybe they'd want info on the set up of the district, how to address the school board, perceived needs of the schools and their opinions on same.

Las Vegas NV has a program for family involvement that you might check out. I don't know too much about it, other than it exists. Try their ESL program office.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote