Help

The Job Search

San Diego??

>

4thELD

San Diego??
Old 11-01-2010, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It looks like my husband is going to accept a job offer in San Diego. I'm super excited, but I also am worried about my own job situation. We currently live in Phoenix, and I will finish the school year here (he'll be commuting for a bit). I know that jobs are hard to find practically anywhere in the nation right now, and I don't have any connections in that area.

I have so many questions, that I don't even know where to start... I need to find a job before we find a place to live out there, so I don't have a far commute. I would like to find a position at a school with all-day Kinder because my son will be starting in the fall, and I really want him to have that experience. Of course, if it comes down to it, I'll take any job, wherever! But, I do have a "wish-list" anyways

I have taught 1st, 3rd, and 4th grades... general ed and ELD/ESL classes... hopefully that experience is helpful. I have always relied so much on connections I've made through teaching in my area, that I haven't ever needed to really SEARCH for a job. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
L

4thELD is offline   Reply With Quote

Sariana

San Diego
Old 11-01-2010, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
general ed and ELD/ESL classes
This experience will be helpful in San Diego. I taught at a school in the south that had 17 different languages spoken among its population. It is a very diverse area.

Where will your DH be working (area, not company)? Is the job in San Diego proper? The greater San Diego area is HUGE, and quite diverse. So you may want to be a bit more specific.

It has been a while since I lived there, so things may have changed, but you may want to avoid the San Diego Unified School District for your own family. IIRC, the more desirable districts were to the north and sometimes east (San Dieguito and Poway come to mind--not sure if those are unified or high school districts). As far as WORKING, though, SDUnified is probably just fine.

I wouldn't count on having your child attend the school where you teach. You'll want to find the best school for your child, but with CA's budget issues, you likely won't be able to be that particular about where you work. I don't mean to be pessimistic, but our education system here in CA is a mess.

But congratulations to you and your family! I love San Diego. We lived there for three years back in the 90s, when DH was a submarine officer in the Navy. We both miss it even though we are only an hour and a half north of there now.
Sariana is offline   Reply With Quote

4thELD

Old 11-01-2010, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My husband's main office would be just south of La Jolla... but he'll be traveling about 50% of the time, so we don't need to focus on that. He doesn't mind a commute a couple days a week. I'll probably apply for jobs as far out as Temecula, Oceanside, and Chula Vista (going all directions!)... I just know that we will need me to have income to live in San Diego... it's so much more expensive than Phoenix!!

I have heard less-than-stellar reports about SDUnified, but I will definitely still apply. I've also been checking out many charter schools (mostly for my son), but they all seem to have lottery systems... eek! It feels so strange not to know where I'll be - or where he'll be... I'm such a planner!
4thELD is offline   Reply With Quote

Sariana

Old 11-01-2010, 10:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

La Jolla...ni-i-ice.

You definitely should look in the San Dieguito school district for your son. Actually, I think that's the high school district (7-12). I don't know what the name of the elementary school district is. The SDo district office used to be in Encinitas, which is where I worked about a millions years ago (at a school in Encinitas, that is, not the district office). Anyway, it's a nice area. Rancho Santa Fe and Torrey Pines (of golf tournament fame) are part of the high school district, and the "new" high school, La Costa Canyon, is near a big resort. (It was new when I was there; it's actually almost 15 years old now. )

Oddly I don't know the districts right around La Jolla at all, but I know it is a very nice area and likely has excellent schools.

I'm so jealous. I like where we live now, and I'm not even teaching currently, but I still miss San Diego.

I worked in Sweetwater High School District, too, which is very, well, let's say diverse. It has both ends of the spectrum. I liked it, though. I don't know as much about Chula Vista Elementary, its feeder, except that one of the pioneers of the charter school movement is in that district. Wouldn't I be so much more helpful if I could remember what it's called? Sorry. It's been a long time.

Anyway, good luck to you and your family.
Sariana is offline   Reply With Quote