Help

ESL/LEP

Avenues?

>

SportingKC

Avenues?
Old 11-30-2010, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use Avenues? I'm implementing the curriculum right now. We have the materials for the upper grades, but not the younger.

Does anyone have any advice or insight in how to implement successfully?

SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Avenues
Old 12-06-2010, 10:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you use it as the reading program or as an ELL supplement for push in/pull out?

The adjustments for different levels (those little colored "skittles" with B, A, etc.) are helpful to taylor to students' abilities. There are some really great suggestions at the very back of the teacher's edition that are wonderful to share with regular ed teachers.

There's an online lesson planner that helps edit the lessons to your time constraints and adjust for students needs:
http://www.ngsp.com/Home/tabid/36/ct....aspx%3ftl%3d1

Like any program, the first time through is all about the learning curve. The teacher's learning curve.
I always look forward to year three when I (almost) know what I'm doing with a new program.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Colo ESL

Colo ESL

ESL teacher
Old 01-17-2011, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've been using Avenues for three years and I love it. I follow a lot of what it suggests in the TE, bringing in outside resources when I have them.

talk2bethany

ELL and Avenues
Old 03-08-2011, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Just remember that Avenues is a great literacy curriculum, but not necessarily a great ELL curriculum. If you are able to search the Hueneme School District office of Language Acquisition they have done a great job of aligning Avenues to the functions and forms necessary for ELL students. I have used Avenues for the past 3 + years, but it does not get my students to move up in the proficiency level on it's own. I have had to leave out the literacy components that are for teaching reading and add a lot to give them more functions and forms practice. Good Luck!!
talk2bethany is offline   Reply With Quote