Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

doubting if it's right for me.

>

ab1007

ab1007

doubting if it's right for me.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in my first year teaching Pre-k at a daycare. I have always worked with children ages 4-5 and loved that age, the curiosity, how cute they are, etc. Now I have my own classroom and I am losing it. I work long varied hours (sometimes I come in early, sometimes late, we have to rotate with assistants). The schedule is rigid and they don't allow much freedom. My commute is over an hour. My boss is bipolar; your best friend one minute and snapping at you the next. She is NEVER in my classroom and I have ZERO support. I feel like I have no time for myself and I've begun to take it out on the kids.

This is the worst part. I lose my patience with them so easily and I always go home feeling like a horrible teacher. I hate going home feeling like a bully--they are just babies and I forget that sometimes. I am starting to wonder if working with kids so young is right for me, but it's so disappointing because I have always enjoyed working with children this age, how could it be worse once I have the freedom to do the things I want with them?

I do care and I have great ideas and lessons. But I want to be a GREAT preschool teacher who is loving and nurturing, but I find that I lose my patience/temper too easily...I would love some advice from veteran and/or new teachers who have experienced this. How can I be more patient and loving with these kids? Am I just not cut out for the babies?

ab1007

ab1007

Old 03-03-2011, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I should also add that i have SO SO much paperwork, which adds to my stress level.

NovPSU07

Hi
Old 03-03-2011, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi! Hang in there. I am going through almost the same thing... but I rarely take it out on the kids. I try not to do that. I've done it in previous jobs thought. I currently teach a 3,4,5 y/o Pre-K class and It is my first full "school year" with this class. I have so much paperwork too and don't have too much support. If you want to talk more please email me jlnova07@gmail.com I am sure we can def. share some of the same stressors.

Take care.
NovPSU07 is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

Old 03-04-2011, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It sounds like the commute, boss, etc. are not a good fit for you. Is there any way you can look for something closer to home while still working there? It is amazing how different the atmosphere (and so the staff morale) can be from one place to another.
learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote
tawh

tawh

Home Preschool
Old 03-04-2011, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is my first year teaching also. However, I have my own preschool in my home. I absolutely love it. I don't have to deal with bosses or coworkers, I can do my own thing and I have a blast. Maybe this is something you could consider. We all have our bad days and somedays I feel like I lose my patience too easily, but I think any teacher would agree that it's just part of it. Good Luck.

shopaholic94

daycare
Old 03-04-2011, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

daycares can be very difficlut to work in. i work with 2s in a daycare setting now and somedays i feel like crying, but try to hang in there. when it comes to patience i am deff in the same boat as you. i try to just take a breather when i feel like im losing it because some days you just "snap" and that never feels good later. i always try during center time to talk to each child individually about their day or their weekend and the kids love that special attention.
shopaholic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
GGP

GGP

I have a home-based preschool/childcare too.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Don't give up! I have been teaching preschool for over 15 years and everyone has those seasons when we feel less than adequate. That is normal. It does sound like the long commute and your boss may be wearing you down. Not to mention...the rotating schedule is not a good idea in my opinion. That is really hard to work with.

Anyway, I worked in center-based preschools for 12 years. I was really fed up with the paperwork, the co-workers who gossiped, jumbling to cover classrooms when teachers were sick, and following someone elses rules and curriculum all the time.
Like another poster, I opened my own home-based preschool/childcare. It has been extremely rewarding and I would NEVER go back to working for someone else. It may not be feasable now, but you might look into that at some point in the future. The pay is much better too (but no benefits). Otherwise, I might look for something closer to home or at least something without that rotating schedule. It is hard to put your best effort in with the kids when you are not satisfied with your work/life situation.

Good Luck!
ab1007

ab1007

Old 03-04-2011, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

thanks for the advice. i am trying to remind myself to just take deep breaths and that it's not the kids fault. i agree that being in place that i can't stand (boss, commute) is adding to the stress level. i already have interviews lined up for next year and will hopefully get something closer to home because i hate that i take it out on the kids. the rotating schedule is the hardest thing...the days that i have to work late i come in just miserable, knowing i have to deal with traffic and late hours. staff morale is very low here. im looking forward to going somewhere where people CARE about their job....i am not lazy but its hard to care about this job when no one else does, not even my boss. and this is my first year, i should be dedicated and passionate not ready to give up on my kids.

Lorax

Old 03-06-2011, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Patience can be learned. I started out teaching at 25 and would sometimes blow up and yell at the kids. This was, unfortunately, an accepted method of discipline at my former school. It took me seeing the poor behavior of other teachers to spurn me into working on my patience. I still have days when I think I'm going to loose it, but for the most part I do alright. I know it's hard, but the first step is to make the decision to be more patient and at all costs, not to yell. That's easier said than done, I know, but you need to make that decision first, and then try to think of strategies for dealing with your stress: counting, singing, jumping up and down... whatever works.

This is a tough age group, and it takes a special kind of person to teach them, but just because you are having a hard time doesn't mean it isn't for you. No matter who you are, the first year is the hardest. Believe it or not, you will start to get really fast at the paperwork. You will see what works and doesn't work with the children, and learn to anticipate issues that might arise in certain situations. You will discover great plans that you can use year after year. You will develop you own systems and strategies for managing your classroom, and things will eventually get easier. However, this development will be much easier in a center that supports you. I wouldn't wait until next year. If you find a center that will take you now - RUN!
Lorax is offline   Reply With Quote

jba16

Dear ab1007,
Old 03-07-2011, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Everything you've mentioned in your post has been what I'm going through. Thank you for making me feel like I'm not the only one!!!

jba16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Amyece

Old 03-12-2011, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am also dealing with a somewhat similar situation.
I am at a center that is super well respected int he comunity and I have dreamed of working here.. FOREVER!! I have been out of early childhood environments for about 3 years so I think thats part of my problem.
I am the parapro in a older 3's class. Me and the lead teacher just started new on Wednesday. The kids had been without a regular teacher for weeks. THe room was a mess, chaotic, etc.
We are slowly getting things better but its sooo hard. And since I am not the lead in the afternoons I get sent to other rooms. And when I get back to my room the lead leaves and then all the other classes start sending me their kids when they leave. PLUS I got VERY sick and have had a severe aches and pains.
It really has made me question if I want to do this. or if I am even capable. I am hoping that once I am well it wont be so overwhelming.
Amyece is offline   Reply With Quote