Help

ESL/LEP

Bilingual books for reading homework

>

RaceFan18

Bilingual books for reading homework
Old 03-23-2011, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my 3rd year teaching ESL, and I have heard so many times that our job is to teach them English not to speak to them in Spanish. That works for me since I don't speak Spanish! Lately though, I have been hearing many ESL teachers in my school system talk about sending home books in Spanish or books that are bilingual to help parents get more involved in their child's reading education. I think this is a great idea, but I am worried that classroom teachers will be very unhappy about this. I have heard complaints about ESL teachers only speaking or reading Spanish with kids (98% of our ESL students are from Mexico). I want the classroom teachers to understand that this is a whole different thing! This is about parents getting involved! Anyone have any thought or suggestions????
Thank you!

RaceFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 03-30-2011, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I send books home in Spanish not only to help the child with the skill of reading, but because if I send books home in Spanish, the parents can help the child practice reading. If I send books home in English, some parents are not able to help their child. Parental involvement is a struggle for families of our ESL students, so every little thing I do, helps.

I also fully believe in asking for forgiveness, not permission. So send the books home, and if they disagree...explain, and apologize for it later
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

RaceFan18

Thank you, Becca!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That is a good way to look at it! I sent home a bilingual book with a 5th grade student yesterday, and his face lit up!! He said his mom was never able to help with homework before, but she would read to him in Spanish! You are right! It is worth the risk for sure!!!! Thanks again!
RaceFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 04-01-2011, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Glad I could help!

SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jenn81

GREAT WEBSITES for books
Old 09-08-2011, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi,

It is a great idea to send home books in Spanish / English! Promoting literacy, is promoting it in anyway possible. Parents feel empowered if they can participate in their child's schooling! If the parent speaks Spanish, the parent can do read alouds with their child. If they speak Spanish, but cannot read in Spanish, then books on tape or video are great. Check out Reading Rainbow & U tube Even for books in Spanish (or any language). They can both listen to the book and follow along. Or, have a native speaker of Spanish (and other languages) make recordings of books on tape.

Remember, proficiency and a connection to a child's 1st language will promote second lang. acquisition! And, foster home school connection. I agree with you all, it doesn't matter what language you send home books in, you want that child to feel connected with reading! You are all right, it is our job as educators to teach English, but also help them grow in their home language =) For administrators or teachers or "complain" because they don't know any better, well through some research based claims at them Also knowledge is power, so I guess that will empower them too!

I am a Med ESL graduate student/ unemployed el. Ed teacher (didn't get rehired this year) I am working on an author study, on Monica Brown. She writes English and Bilingual
Children's books for grades k-6. I am in the process of figuring our proficiency levels of her books now. But they are awesome as read alouds. Here is her website, complete with teacher guides and media resources (getting a little off topic. sorry)

http://www.monicabrown.net/

Here are some fantastic links below to Children's Literature that are culturally and linguistically relevant. Or websites that are really helpful ELL teachers. From here, these websites are loaded with links.

http://www.ritell.org/en/resources/b...t-project.html

http://www.colorincolorado.org/read/

Teacher Resource

Literacy Instuction for English Language Learners : A teacher's guide to Research Based Practices. (Nancy Cloud, Fred Genesee, Else Hamayan)

Great book my TESL professor help write. Very teacher user friendly, great resources listed within book . Happy Readings =)

Jenn81 is offline   Reply With Quote