Fifth Grade

Help...again...please!!

>

MrTall

Help...again...please!!
Old 04-22-2011, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello All,

If you guys could please offer me some thoughts on the following items, I'd really appreciate it.

I have to construct a lesson based one of the following three literacy based items.

1. Synthesizing the main idea across texts.

2. Using other sources of information to check authenticity of a text when questions arise.

3. Figurative language

If anyone has any cool lessons they'd be willing to share, that'd be excellent! I'd love to hear any suggestions you have available!
The lesson needs to be <25 minutes and it is for 5th grade students. I'd really appreciate any effort/help!

Thanks again!

MrTall is offline   Reply With Quote

kmob

I'd do figurative language
Old 04-22-2011, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think that figurative language would be the easiest to create and then be able to modify in the future. It's really a lot of fun to teach, here's an old thread with some GREAT ideas for figurative language, should be able to build a lesson easily. I like to use song lyrics to help teach this, the Katy Perry song Firework is full of figurative language and it's a song they are familiar with anyway so there's prior knowledge:

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ad.php?t=75014
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

MrTall

Old 04-22-2011, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree, completely. I will check out that thread in the morning. I am just stark tired and was hoping to at least see ONE reply. Thank you so much. You're a saint, just so you're aware.

Wendy 31

Old 04-23-2011, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Google "figurative language flipbook"

I did this with my 5th graders. I made a very large one for our writing wall. We added to it as the year went along with figurative language from our readings and what we heard other staff, teachers, and our families say to us. We kept it in our Writer's Notebook as a reference tool.
Wendy 31 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrTall

wendy
Old 04-23-2011, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That sounds like a lot of fun!!
I am doing a teaching interview on Wednesday and the lesson has to be less than 25 minutes. Do you think it could be done in that time frame?
PM me and let me know how you did it!

Thanks!!!!

purplecrayon

Synthesizing
Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There is a great book called Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading that provides some awesome lessons with the big thinking strategies including synthesis.

We started with looking at nesting dolls and described how they can represent our thinking (our thinking grows, we start from one small idea and it builds, etc.)

Then I introduce the thinking stems (from the book) for example "I used to think...but now I think..." and "My thinking has changed...because..." I put these on a chart. We've practiced with their "Just Right" books they read during Reader's Workshop. The first few days, I gave students a post-it to write down when they think they synthesize (their post its start with a thinking stem). Once they feel comfortable, I'm going to move on to more specific texts. I can look through the book tomorrow and post more specific lessons from the book if you don't have time to purchase it.
purplecrayon is offline   Reply With Quote