Help

Fifth Grade

new to 5th

>

fiery17

new to 5th
Old 04-27-2011, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am going to teach 5th grade next year! I am hoping some of you will be able to help me ease into it. I've taught for 20 years...all primary. I'll be teaching LA. I have "no stuff"!!! That is the most stressful thing for me right now. Every resource book and all materials, manipulatives, books etc are all K-2!What do you recommend as the first things that I should read as far as resources? What about your "must haves" for 5th grade? I am that person that starts thinking about next year NOW!!! I usually have my room ready by end of July and in the beginning of August I need to have the first of weeks of school planned! It just makes me feel better. I am very excited and am loooking forward to the change, I just don't know what to do first or where to start. I just want to be the best I can be. Thanks for the help in advance!

fiery17 is offline   Reply With Quote

LindyJo

I feel your pain!
Old 04-27-2011, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm like you as far as setting up my room in advance. I'm moving from 5th to 4th, not that big a jump,.... but in another country! I don't know what my classroom even looks like, much less what will be in it!

Anyway, I suggest Aimee Bucker's books, Notebook Connections and Notebook Essentials. They are short, easy to read, and her thoughts come from and build on other great books (like Strategies that Work, Mosaic of Thought, and Daily 5) that are considerably longer. Plus she'll give you realistic ideas for both reading and writing that you can implement from the get-go.

In addition, I'd suggest Balanced Literacy Gr 5 from Kagan Cooperative Learning (available on Amazon). I don't know your thoughts/experience on cooperative learning, but this book is 400+ pages of ready-made blackline masters that you could use tomorrow in your classroom to teach and review 5th grade skills like fact/opinion, cause/effect, text structure, figurative language, text types, prefixes/suffixes...

Good Luck! 5th is great!
LindyJo is offline   Reply With Quote

purplecrayon

books
Old 04-27-2011, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is my first year teaching 5th after teaching 3rd and 2nd grade. It has been GREAT! I relied a lot on the whole brain teaching videos on youtube to get an idea of classroom management (just go to youtube and type in whole brain teaching and it should pop right up). My class LOVES the rules and the movements you use in your teaching.

For books - if you've used the book Strategies That Work before - you can totally modify your lessons for 5th graders. Also, the book Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading provides some great lesson ideas. Also, the 6+1 Traits books come in grades 3-5 and they are helpful too.

I've had a lot of help from my grade level team, so hopefully you'll be given the same help I was! Good Luck!
purplecrayon is offline   Reply With Quote

annie3

been in your shoes
Old 04-28-2011, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was in your exact position last year at this time. I'm now at the end of my first year at 5th! Since no one has suggested any ideas for math I'd like to say that Everyday Math Counts Calendar Math was invaluable to me. I was very worried about all the math concepts taught in 5th. I used this kit in addition to our district adopted program. It teaches the concepts in a concrete and/or visual way and goes over the skills frequently. Coming from primary it will have a somewhat familiar feel to it. It was backordered at first so I started the year with just the TE. That meant I had to make all the components every month. By January I got the entire thing and it saved me a lot of time.
For reading I used Laura Candler's Empowering Readers (reader's Workshop.)

By the way, now that I've done a year at 5th I wouldn't want to go back to primary and I was there for 27 years!
annie3 is offline   Reply With Quote

fiery17

thanks so much
Old 04-30-2011, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I really appreciate all your help. I am looking forward to it. I have heard that everyone who has made the change has loved it and didn't want to go back to teaching primary! I am ready for the change!!! I am going to check out all of your ideas and if you think of any more please let me know. Thanks again so much! Oh...one more thing...any good websites or blogs??

fiery17 is offline   Reply With Quote

shel312

Old 04-30-2011, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have been teaching 5th for 3 years and love it...made the change from 8th grade Science--best thing I ever did! As for blogs, there are not many out there for upper elem. I have been looking a this one lately http://mrscrockettscupcakes.blogspot.com/ and I started my own, but there isn't anything on there yet. http://teachingisnotforwimps.blogspot.com/ I started it because there aren't many out there, but I'm not sure what to put on it! Good luck next year!!

P.S. LOVE your avatar! Huge DMB fan here! Maybe we should keep in touch! : )
shel312 is offline   Reply With Quote

krichau

Free stuff
Old 04-30-2011, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Have you ever gone to teacherspayteachers.com website? There are tons of things to use in fifth grade and they are so cheap, many are free.
krichau is offline   Reply With Quote

annie3

favorite website
Old 05-01-2011, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You have to check out Laura Candler's website. I don't know how I would have gotten through the year without it. She has lots of free information as well as very inexpensive ebooks that you just print off. She covers most curricular areas. I highly recommend her site!
annie3 is offline   Reply With Quote

roundstanley

someone mentioned blogs...here's one
Old 05-05-2011, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This one does a lot on brain based learning that someone else mentioned. He has some great videos of his class doing their regular classroom routines. http://blogs.scholastic.com/classroo...brent_vasicek/
roundstanley is offline   Reply With Quote