Help

Fifth Grade

Pen Pals for next school year? We're from St. Louis

>

TeacherKel

Pen Pals for next school year? We're from St. Louis
Old 05-12-2011, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know it's early, but after a bad experience this year with pen pals, I want to set something up early, and am looking for a SOLID commitment (communication about once a month). I will have about 23-24 5th graders next year and am looking for a school not in the Midwest. Please contact me if interested, Thank you!

TeacherKel is offline   Reply With Quote

Dharmayng

Hey!
Old 05-13-2011, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would love to penpal with you. Not sure how many 5th graders I'll have, but likely similar numbers. I am in Virginia but used to live in Wentzville MO. Let me know if this works. Maybe we could Skype too??
Dharmayng is offline   Reply With Quote

shellea

Old 05-14-2011, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

TeacherKel,
I will be teaching 5th grade reading/ language arts in Pensacola, Fl for the 2011-2012 instructional year and would LOVE to set up monthly communication. I will have 3 groups of about 21-23 students in each rotation. I would really like to set up pen pals for all of my groups and have actually posted looking for pen pals already. We will be doing 2 units incorporating travel (pre and post Christmas)- one in which the students "Read Across America" and another in which they will travel "Around the World in 80 Books." Our 3 rotations are ability grouped, so, if anything, one of the groups could write to your class. If you have colleagues who are also interested in pen pals, I would love to have pen pals for all 3 groups.
Just let me know!
shellea is offline   Reply With Quote

banditpumpkin

Sounds like fun!
Old 05-14-2011, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Can you tell me more about "Read Across America" and "Around the World in 80 Books" and am interested inpen pals too. I will have 30 students in my 5th grade class. Their writing skills are generally low.
banditpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote

shellea

Reading units
Old 05-14-2011, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

banditpumpkin,

In a nutshell, these are units that help to break up the monotony of our Expository Text-filled series, allow me to incorporate comprehension focus skills, and encourage the students to read independently.

Read Across America incorporates picture book read alouds, chapter books from Guided Reading and independent reading, articles, computer research, and folktales/ tall tales. I will begin the Unit by reading How to Make a Cherry Pie and See the U.S.A. The students will track their individual journey on a map of the U.S. kept in their Reading Journals as we track our class trip together on a large map of the U.S. The culminating activity will be a file folder state report presentation created by the students. I have a set "itinerary" for our class trip, but encourage students take the scenic route and visit states off the beaten trail.

Around the World in 80 Books operates in much the same way, incorporating picture books, articles, folk tales, chapter books, computer research, etc. from each of the seven continents. I start by reading aloud How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World. Our school's fabulous PTA created a "suitcase" on which I allow students to add small sticky notes with the title/author of books they have completed beneath the correct continent. We also track the countries we have visited on a large wall map. Each student receives a "passport" in which the must respond to an independently read book from each continent and a book mark from 6 or the 7 continents. They get a stamp in their passport after each reading response is completed.I have the students track the miles they travel (these are the minutes they read for their reading logs.)

Hope this answers your question-
In which state do you teach? I will have one rotation of ESE inclusion/ lower readers. Perhaps we could have our classes write one another.

shellea is offline   Reply With Quote