Fifth Grade

Summarizing Ideas

>

hppygrl165

Summarizing Ideas
Old 05-15-2011, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi there

As it nears the end of the year, I feel my students need extra assistance with summarizing. Does anyone have any ideas? I am really stuck and lack creative thoughts on how to model and connect to real life... Maybe it's just because it is the end of the year, but I have had trouble with this skill all year!

Thanks for your help!

hppygrl165 is offline   Reply With Quote

SnackNapRead

Comprehension Toolkit
Old 05-15-2011, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If your school has Comprehension Toolkit, I'd suggest working through the lessons in Book 6. They are great for summarizing. I also like to do Book-In-An-Hour. It's great for practicing - but you need to buy a copy of a book that you don't mind destroying. Here's how it works:

Choose a smaller book and tear out all the pages. Staple the chapters together. (I've done this activity with Number the Stars and some of Gordon Korman's trilogies)
- You can do this as independent work or in pairs (If independent, each child will read to self - if in pairs, you can have them partner read)
- Hand out the chapters so that the whole book is distributed to the class (so group 1 might have chapters 1-2, group 2 chapters 3-4, etc...)
- Have students read the chapters and summarize what they read.
- Have each group stand up and share their summary in chapter order. Once all the chapters have been read, the kids will have heard a summary of the entire book.
You have just read a whole book in an hour!
SnackNapRead is offline   Reply With Quote

roundstanley

a silly/fun activity that works
Old 05-18-2011, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Give your kids a goal of summarizing a book in x words exactly. For example, have them summarize Frindle in 87 words. It usually helps to do this whole class first, and the kids really get into what to put in/leave out. It does take a lot of time for them to think, so allow for that.
roundstanley is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Graphic Organizer
Old 05-21-2011, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Somebody wanted but so then is what I use.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf somebody-wanted.pdf (272.3 KB, 155 views)
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

hppygrl165

More Ideas
Old 05-21-2011, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you all for sharing!!!

I am trying to focus on nonfiction summarizing and I found some great ideas online in addition to your ideas! I thought I would share some of the thoughts just in case you wanted to add them to your own repertoire

-Have students relate summarizing to magazines using headlines and photos. As an application, students create their own magazine covers for a chapter in a textbook or even a chapter in a fictional reading selection (I think this one will pair well with the book in 1 hour).
-Provide students with different summaries of the same informational text. Students must determine which summary is the best based on given criteria for summarizing as modeled by the teacher. Students should be able to justify their thinking using support from the article. Gets in that higher level thinking!
-Provide students with sentence strips of information from an article. Have students choose which information should be included in a summary as well as the order it should be placed in.

Here are some Center Ideas I have thus far:
-Students read a short article or paragraph of high-interest. On their own, each student writes a headline for the article or paragraph on a white board. Next students have a showdown with their group members by showing their boards after a 3-2-1 countdown. Students can explain their thinking in choosing their titles and even have an answer key for the original headline or subheading.
-Students are given the job of writing a classified add type of summary. The teacher will explain that words cost $.10 each and they only have $2.00 to compile a complete summary. Students will be given a high-interest article and have to summarize it with the given limitations!

I hope these ideas help you teachers and thanks again for sharing!!!!!

hppygrl165 is offline   Reply With Quote

anamachara

Quick Summary Review
Old 05-24-2011, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use all of the extra book order forms from the different
grade levels in our school for summary reviews. Every
single book in the order has a short summary; this gives
the students an overall idea of what a quick summary
looks and sounds like.
Hope someone finds this idea helpful; happy teaching!
anamachara is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHopeful

Old 05-24-2011, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Similar to ROUNDSTANLEY's post, we do the same thing but we start with picture books that the kids are pretty familiar with and challenge them to summarize them VERY briefly in say, 7 words or 9 words. It always seems that after we do a few of these, they understand how to summarize and they are looking forward to getting to work with more words, instead of HAVING to write longer ones
MissHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote