What are your class rules? Consequences? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Fifth Grade

What are your class rules? Consequences?

>

Chica650

What are your class rules? Consequences?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm going to 5th from teaching 3 years in 7th. I am still trying to come up with a TRIED AND TRUE classroom management plan that will be easy to maintain and easy to follow. I'm currently reading Dream Class by Michael Linsin and I just ordered Teaching with Love and Logic from Amazon. BUT, I want to know what you guys, who have been in the trenches of 5th grade, do in your classrooms. What are your rules? What are your consequences? Do you have some sort of reward system? What do you do for your classroom management?

Chica650 is offline   Reply With Quote

anamachara

Consequences
Old 05-18-2011, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hello, Chica.
My classroom has 3 rules: Br responsible, be reliable and be respectful. Those pretty much cover any situation. I use a 3 strike system. First issue earns a strike (which is a warning.) Second issue earns an additional strike (and you're out of the end-of-the-week club). Third issue, which is also the third strike, results in a note home. (If this is ever reached again, it's an automatic office referral, too.) My students love our club activity, which is usually on Friday afternoon. It's nothing fancy, just different activities such as board games, extra recess, stump the teacher, etc. I really like this system because the students start over fresh each week, but there is follow-through for habitual offenders (with the office visit). At the end of each quarter, I also give award certificates to students who have been a club member for all of the weeks in that quarter.
Happy teaching!
anamachara is offline   Reply With Quote

MsOC

End-of the-week-club
Old 05-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love the idea. How much time do you alot to the club, and what is stump-the-teacher?
MsOC is offline   Reply With Quote

shel312

Old 05-18-2011, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach 5th and have four basic rules: Be Prepared, Be Positive, Be Productive, and Be Polite. One of the first days of school, we go over as a group the 4 rules and they come up with more specific rules to go under each heading and write them on a piece of paper. I have posted a picture below. This year I used a punch card system--it is more of a reward system than a punishment system and it has worked wonderfully! I give them punches for things they do (turn in all HW for the week, get an A on a chapter test, do something nice for another student or adult, etc.) They can then turn in full cards for rewards (HW pass, free test question, bring your teacher to recess/lunch, etc). I have had not one major behavior issue this year. I had postcards made for any issue I may have encountered. I would fill them out, send them home, and have them signed. I have used not one this year and I tend to think it is because of my behavior system. I really think the kids respond to an award system rather than a punishment system.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
shel312 is offline   Reply With Quote

shel312

Old 05-18-2011, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Here is my punch card menu

Attachment

shel312

Old 05-18-2011, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Another punch card menu
Attachment

shel312

Old 05-18-2011, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Last punch card menu
Attachment

starthrower01

punch card
Old 05-18-2011, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hey Shel312-
I like the punch card system. I used this one year and I found it was very beneficial. However, I only used it for homework. Having different levels (number of card filled) has giving me some ideas for the upcoming school year. Thanks for sharing!
Starthrower01
starthrower01 is offline   Reply With Quote

shellea

Old 05-19-2011, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We use circle sheets to monitor behavior on our grade level. The students can earn circles for positive behavior and lose them for unwanted behaviors.
shellea is offline   Reply With Quote

swilliams214

Management System
Old 05-19-2011, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I love the punch card system! We are departmentalized and we have a stick system. They all start out on green and pull a stick for bad behavior and can replace it with a blue stick for positive behavior. I have to agree though, I think the reward system is MUCH more effective! It's tough though when you have 60 kids and only see them for 90 minutes that day. What do you do for those students who are off task or not doing what they are supposed to be doing? Thanks again for the tips and ideas!

swilliams214 is offline   Reply With Quote

hppygrl165

Whole Brain Teaching...
Old 05-21-2011, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I use whole brain teaching as my whole class system, but I also have used the clip system from new management. My kids really enjoyed having their clips move off the chart and I would send a positive note home when students reached this level. I included the link below to give you some more information

http://www.newmanagement.com/ebooks/clip_chart.html
hppygrl165 is offline   Reply With Quote

hppygrl165

I forgot the rules!!!!
Old 05-21-2011, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

OOOOOO, and as far as my rules... I use the Whole Brain Teaching rules which are as follows:

Rule 1- follow directions quickly
Rule 2- raise your hand for permission to speak
Rule 3- raise your hand for permission to leave your seat
Rule 4- make smart choices
Rule 5- keep your dear teacher happy

firstyear1

Rules
Old 05-22-2011, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I use the card system. If you pull a card for talking you get a green ticket. The student have to write was is on the ticket attach it to the ticket and get it signed. I also do a ticket for no homework and disrespect. If a student pulls two tickets in one week then they cannot attend fun friday which is 30 minutes of games or something fun i have planned. Each ticket has to be rewritten and signed. I can send you a copy if you like! This is my first year and it worked really good. When there was several students who couldnt participate in fun friday i made it really fun so that they would miss it for example, one friday we made solar smores outside, one friday we made the ice cream in the bag, smoothies in the blender, mcfluries in the blender and so on. This made them wonder what was going to happen on Friday. I also had parents to donate items for fridays.
firstyear1 is offline   Reply With Quote

CAT

wow!
Old 05-22-2011, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I just checked out the link above--Awesome stuff!
CAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Jccarter

High Five
Old 05-22-2011, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I use the High Five....

1. Be respectful
2. Be responsible
3. Follow directions
4. Hands and Feet to yourself
5. Be there, be ready!

We also follow CHAMPS at our school so there is always expectations put forth and no one can question what is expected at that particular time for that activity!

C--conversation level 0-no talking, 1-whisper, 2-normal conversation, 3-presentation voice, 4-emergence or outside voice
H--help--what will I do if I need help, ask a neighbor, raise a hand, etc.
A--Activity--what am I participating in at that given time--seat work, teacher lecture, etc.
M--movement--am I allowed to get out of my seat, go to the restroom, stay in my seat, etc.
P--participation--what does it look like?? answering, following along, raising hands, reading the passage, etc.
S--SUCCESS--what I will achieve if I do this!

CHAMPS expectations are given for every activity we do, even transitions, once the kids get it down, they will know the lingo, "Oh, we are walking to music class, what is our conversation level in the hall???"
Jccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
SciChick
Old 05-26-2011, 03:42 PM
This message has been deleted by SciChick.

hppygrl165

I LOVE the idea of CHAMPS!
Old 05-27-2011, 01:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am TOTALLY going to steal that CHAMPS expectations procedure Thanks so much for sharing... What do you use for the Success piece?

daisydee226

Old 06-06-2011, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

"I teach 5th and have four basic rules: Be Prepared, Be Positive, Be Productive, and Be Polite. One of the first days of school, we go over as a group the 4 rules and they come up with more specific rules to go under each heading and write them on a piece of paper."

I LOVE THIS... I like your four rules. I always wanted to have only 3 or 4 rules but I have certain things in my room that I just don't allow and feel those should be posted as well... this may be my way to work this.

I am going from 5th-3rd and my theme will be PAWS... because we are Tigers and our principal set up P-be prepared, A - arrive on time, W- work hard, and S- stay positive.
daisydee226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Maureen

Only 2 Rules!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I've been teaching 5th grade for 13 years. I have never had more than 2 rules - Respect and Responsibility. Anything and everything will fall into one or both of these rules. The first day of school I have the students unpack their brains about the rules they'd like to have this year and they write them on post-it notes. I then ask the class or small groups (depending on the group of kids each year) to work at categorizing the rules everyone has written. After a bit of time I place two large hula hoops on the floor as a VENN diagram. I place RESPECT at the top of one side and RESPONSIBILITY on top of the other side. We then together categorize all the written rules - just about 100% of the time all the rules land in the center. I then gently guide the students to realize we only need 2 rules - be responsible and be respectful. This has worked so well - I hear students talk with one another about not following one/both of the rules.

Example of my discussion with a student may be me asking them what rule was broken if they didn't complete their homework - the answer is they weren't responsible nor did they respect themselves and the job they have of learning and being the best they can be!

I also have, every year, put the challenge out to the class that I would pay for a pizza party lunch for them if they could prove me wrong and find a rule and/or behavior that does not fit into either respect or responsiblity. I have yet, in 13 years, had to buy the pizza.

Also, if a student has 'made a bad choice' during the day I ask them to take responsibility for their actions and write a letter home explaining the situationa and how they would better handle it next time. This makes the student accountable for his/her actions, communicates with the parent, practices letter writing, conventions, spelling, neatness (re-write if sloppy), etc. I usually only have 1-2 students need this in the beginning of the year and then the entire class knows I will follow through. (I write my own little note on the bottom of the letter and have a copy made prior to it going home that day. Years ago, at another school I was at, I had students 'losing' the letter!).

Hope this all makes sense. Let me know if you need more clarification!
Maureen is offline   Reply With Quote