Help

Fifth Grade

3rd to 5th

>

merlina

3rd to 5th
Old 05-21-2011, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was recently informed that I am being moved the 5th grade after teaching 3rd for nine years. I am excited because I will have some of my prior students but I am worried about the difference in behavior management. I have used the same behavior management system successfully for years and now need something new and fresh for my new students. Has anyone made a move from 3rd to 5th? What were the biggest differences? What are some of the positives? Any advice on a positive behavior management system?

merlina is offline   Reply With Quote

linderdm

moved last year
Old 05-21-2011, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Last year, I moved from second to fifth. The biggest change to me was the curriculum, not the students. My discipline was different mainly because I moved to a new school / state, not the age of the kids. The students are more independent; they still like to please you...at least for the first part of the year. You have an advantage of knowing some of the students! I use behavior bingo for whole group incentive (from here on ProTeacher,) and try to catch individuals being good. I think you will like it!
linderdm is offline   Reply With Quote

merlina

thanks!
Old 05-22-2011, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the advice! I looked into the Behavior Bingo and it looks great.

3boys:)

Me too!!
Old 05-24-2011, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This happened to me last year. I taught 3rd for 12 years and then got moved to 5th. I agree with pp. My behavior is not really that different. We do "bucks" and they turn them in for prizes each month. The kids like the prizes, no matter what grade, I just made them age appropriate for the grade I teach. The students are also more responsible for the consequences, I make THEM write a note or call home to tell the parents what is going on. I attach my own note to it or talk to the parents as well. I will say, I absolutely love 5th grade, I was nervous about the age, but like you I knew most of the kids from 3rd. The curriculum is really the biggest change for me. I do like that the kids are more independent and can actually discuss topics with you and show their interest more in the science and math. Good luck in 5th!!!
3boys:) is offline   Reply With Quote

fraffert

Me Too!
Old 05-28-2011, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I found out I was being moved from 3rd to 5th, also. I am nervous. Any suggestions are appreciated.

fraffert is offline   Reply With Quote

merlina

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2011, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for the tips! I am going to look into a bucks system. What kinds of prizes are appropriate for fifth graders? I had a treasure chest in third grade but I think the prizes would be too babyish for the fifth graders. I like the idea of having the students write a note home about issues in the classroom. Thanks again for your advice. It is much appreciated!